AMD tomorrow!-) stage 1 or 2??

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing is bryan you havent 'fed' me once and the few posts here have been negative, you cant attack someone that doesnt know you? obviously you know all about me? and apart from trying the relocation of the n75 when else have i asked for advise and done something else instead? ive been pretty good and absorbed everything, im not trolling around as if i know better than you, bill, or tuffty, westy and jardo for that fact, i just hate people being rude with no explaination... jardo for example attacked a newbie on a post yesterday telling him to use the search button ending the post in ****ing newbies, what a ****!

also i dont winge lol, you my friend just had an epic winge pmsl...

less spike imhop is better yes..
if not part of the boost request which logs would confirm mappped requests vs Overshoot spike, then its an unwanted side effect of either a J valve, or malfunctiioning std N75 valve or map not managing the boost onset. (<<< very common)

i will do those logs in the week mate, 002/020/118. its defo an f valve. might borrow my mates n75 in the week too... cheers bill.

The thing is justarn we've all been telling you that the map is the problem. You shouldn't need to go changing N75 valves, pipes, or fitting mbc's. AMD shouldn't have let your car go in the state it's in and they need to sort it out. Yes, you might help things a little bit by changing a few things but the bottom line is the map ain't right.

Byzan is a very respected member on here and knows his stuff so I wouldn't disregard anything he says. For us guys sitting at home reading this thread it is frustrating because you seem to be reading things on other forums and trying them out when this forum here is the best info you'll find for the 8L chassis and indeed some of the best info for the 1.8T engine.

Oh dear..... I have been negative I have answered your questions. However you choose to ignore anything you are told and do whatever the Internet says instead. I have read your threads since you joined and have been following a pattern of car problems and no real resolution. Currently you went against advice and got your car mapped elsewhere which has now shown up more issues with either your car or the mapping . Given you assume your car was fit to map because you booked it in and paid the money. It has therefore to he a problem with the mapping. Hardly a difficult decision to come to given the information you have given. Now if you'd like to continue ignoring advice and asking questions over and over again. Others too will get fed up trying to help when people fail to search or listen. It then is little wonder why people react in a 'negative manner.

thanks westy, you are totally right. i assumed he was due to his post count but that doesnt for one minute give him the right to be rude.

i have said the mbc idea was stupid already!-) im a cowboy/idiot sometimes lol. athough there is a kit for sale in the usa that basically bleeds air around the n75 (from the charge pipe to actuator pipe) to get around map spikes, obviously for people with generic maps like me! im not planning on going that route btw.

tbh i expected someone here to have tryed the n75 in different positions.

trust me though the n75 will be back where it should be and i'll be straight down the middle with amd. i spoke to a guy there friday who was very polite and said they'll sort it.

I personally think the n75 and map sensor should be positioned relatively close and in the same part of the boost system really, thinking about it logically. BUT thats another discussion as a whole.
What everyone saying is you shouldnt have to reposition anything with the map you have gone and bought, it should work 'out of the box' with no spikes or strange behaviour, providing the car is a-ok mechanically.
Something amd need to acknowledge and address, not you at home trying to work around their errors.

^^ok ok. I was on a roll. Lol the sentiment stands. The error comes back the mapping software and needs to be addressed at that level.

Reactions: s3dave
btw, you will not be the only person running a map which allows spikey boost levels on spool...

plenty of "tuners" consider that their norm

old cars, large torque peaks abruptly make me nervous personally

Reactions: Vex182
I have just been forwarded this thread.

My honest answer is that I cannot clearly remember this car but do remember it had an "ebayhose" which had been hacked to fit. It was also too soft for purpose.

Boost was not matching and we advised new hose and drive carefully until a new hose is fitted and we can further road test the car. We were unable to source this hose on the day.

Can't see much wrong with this?

Most 1.8T vehicles we have in have the normal problems encountered with a vehicle that has covered 10+ years of driving and usually multiple owners. Boost leaks, faulty MAFs, faulty N75 valves, weak actuators, old/wrong plugs, faulty coil packs, leaking turbo/ gaskets, cracked exhaust manifolds, faulty ignition amplifiers, split DV, split oil breathers, EGT sensors, faulty lambda probes are the most common issues with 1.8T vehicles. This isn't a criticism, merely a fact.

As an example, on saturday we had the following:

Audi TT- boost leak from under the manfold and split TIP
Audi TT- boost leak from under the manifold
SEAT LCR- boost leak from under the manifold

All were sorted on the day and the customers left happy.

As to scaremongering ref "1.8t rods"- we have not had a single failure of crank rods in a 1.8t and we remap 250 1.8t vehicles every year which is approximately 20% of the total vehicles that we remap.

Regards

Shaun Hollamby

AmDtuning.com

Last edited:
Not scaremongering Shaun where excessive boost spikes result in abrupt torque delivery and windowed blocks

ROD-lottery.jpg

Reactions: s33nyboy12
I have just been forwarded this thread.

My honest answer is that I cannot clearly remember this car but do remember it had an "ebayhose" which had been hacked to fit.

Boost was not matching and we advised new hose and drive carefully until a new hose is fitted and we can further road test the car. We were unable to source this hose on the day.

Can't see much wrong with this?

So did you smoke test the hose to establish if there was actually a leak?

With all these 1.8Ts having boost/split pipe issues.....and you saying this is a fact and not a criticism - surely it would make sense for your company to purchase a smoke tester so you can cater for our older cars and show the customer where the leaks are instead of replacing everything that looks ebayish and rough round the edges.

So did you smoke test the hose to establish if there was actually a leak?

With all these 1.8Ts having boost/split pipe issues.....and you saying this is a fact and not a criticism - surely it would make sense for your company to purchase a smoke tester so you can cater for our older cars and show the customer where the leaks are instead of replacing everything that looks ebayish and rough round the edges.

"So", We have a boost pressure tester which have a number of fittings to cater for most engine applications.
We boost pressure tested the vehicle to check for boost leaks.

Reactions: Jason.s
Good of you to come on and bother to read it shaun.

We just hope you can sort the OPs car so he can stop moaning and stressing us out when he doesnt accept sound advice.

Reactions: shaun@amdessex.com
And not just to sell sets of forged rods? We've never had a rod through a customers block.

nope. not just to sell rods Shaun
Excessive boost/torque spikes can and do result in windowed blocks... nothing new.. and not going to decrease in frequency with engines getting older and more worn out either.

Folks need to remember they are asking for a map on a 100k mile 10+year old car at the end of the day, with multiple previous owners and unknown history........... yet expect them all to tolerate the same levels as they did when new. Erm nope.. Lottery applies. Simply put

I've also never windowed a block... there are plenty who have however... the statement stands from my perspective.

An unattended boost spike, on an old motor such as the Ops, is risking rod failure. The sooner he comes back to you to get it sorted and the less trying other random internet read stuff the better..

"So", We have a boost pressure tester which have a number of fittings to cater for most engine applications.
We boost pressure tested the vehicle to check for boost leaks.

Cool.....

So a brand new Forge turbo outlet hose from your good self and Justin will be back on the road in know time then.

Shame you didn't have a boost pressure tester when I took my vehicle to yourselves several years ago.

Just out of interest Shaun how do you pressure test the turbo, inlet manifold, etc, I understand by removing the throttle body hose and fitting a bung with a tyre valve into the hose and removing the hose to the hard pipe and fitting a bung with a pressure gauge you can pressure test the intercoolers and related hoses, is this a suitable way of pressure testing the engine side of things?

Just out of interest Shaun how do you pressure test the turbo, inlet manifold, etc, I understand by removing the throttle body hose and fitting a bung with a tyre valve into the hose and removing the hose to the hard pipe and fitting a bung with a pressure gauge you can pressure test the intercoolers and related hoses, is this a suitable way of pressure testing the engine side of things?

Hi, yes thats it basically. Clamp off breather to complete the circuit and remove oil cap. Different process with different engines though. Cheers Shaun.

Your all making out as If I've been trying loadsa random ****, I moved the boost controller feed whoopy do!

Last edited:
btw, you will not be the only person running a map which allows spikey boost levels on spool...

plenty of "tuners" consider that their norm

old cars, large torque peaks abruptly make me nervous personally

makes me feel a little better!-)

Good of you to come on and bother to read it shaun.

We just hope you can sort the OPs car so he can stop moaning and stressing us out when he doesnt accept sound advice.

lol, what ****** advice have'nt i accepted... give me an example, you lot are in a day dream honestly! ive just re read this whole thread and not once have i moaned, if i come here and share my experiences and its seen as moaning then i dont know why i bother!

hi shaun i dont know what planet half this lot live on but all ive been trying to do is eliminate any existing problems with the car before you have it back, and havent 'moaned' once, sensible to save my own time and amds in my opinion?

as i wrote i just want a safe stage two map from a reputable company... caused a right ***t storm like a ****** playground, you all need to chill out and stop getting angry with your keybourds lol.

Reactions: s3dave
Status
Not open for further replies.