Chris NottBadger5
Results 1 to 29 of 29
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By <tuffty/>
  • 2 Post By russwuss
  • 1 Post By dantsw13

Thread: Engine under tray / skid guard / sump guard

  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114

    Engine under tray / skid guard / sump guard

    Hi there. My engine undertray (plastic thing that covers the sump) for my 8L has fallen off. Know it isn't really essential but would like to replace. Think Audi charge a small fortune but I'm having a hard time finding one elsewhere. Tried online and local breakers but no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction of place to get one relatively cheaply? Thanks.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,580
    I have a cracked one that needs plastic welding, where are you based?



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  4. #3
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,598
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  5. #4
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,598
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114
    Tuffty, many thanks for this. Very helpful. Couldn't find them on eBay myself. I see they have two sets of part numbers listed. Would you or anyone else here happen to know which ones are correct for the A3 8L? Thanks again!

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114
    Thanks for the reply jojo. Tuffty has pointed me in the direction of a new kit on ebay - so going to go with that. Thanks though.

  8. #7
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,282
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I have a cracked one that needs plastic welding, where are you based?
    Is this going spare mate? I want to make a custom undertray out of thin Ali sheet but I wanted to use an original undertray as a template.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  9. #8
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Is this going spare mate? I want to make a custom undertray out of thin Ali sheet but I wanted to use an original undertray as a template.
    What are you doing Fred? I fitted the whole one you gave me, so got a cracked one spare! lol

    If you want it, I can post it to you bud.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114
    If anyone has the part numbers please post. Thanks.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Is this going spare mate? I want to make a custom undertray out of thin Ali sheet but I wanted to use an original undertray as a template.
    Are you doing this yourself? Sounds like a great idea.

  12. #11
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,282
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    What are you doing Fred? I fitted the whole one you gave me, so got a cracked one spare! lol

    If you want it, I can post it to you bud.
    I don't know what I'm doing half the time! Basically the OE one doesn't fit any more due to all the cutting and botching for certain mods on my car which is why I gave you my one. After some consideration I think it's a good idea to have a tray of some sort there to protect everything from the elements. I saw a few threads where people made their own from sheet aluminium and thought I'd have some of that and extend it to cover as much as possible to cover everything and also give a bit of aero if possible.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  13. #12
    Dani_B19's Avatar
    Audi-sports own special child.

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    7,233
    Tufty does that kit the s3 as well?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

  14. #13
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I don't know what I'm doing half the time! Basically the OE one doesn't fit any more due to all the cutting and botching for certain mods on my car which is why I gave you my one. After some consideration I think it's a good idea to have a tray of some sort there to protect everything from the elements. I saw a few threads where people made their own from sheet aluminium and thought I'd have some of that and extend it to cover as much as possible to cover everything and also give a bit of aero if possible.
    Fred, PM me your address, I will clean it up and post it to ya.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  15. #14
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,598
    Quote Originally Posted by waggawagga View Post
    Tuffty, many thanks for this. Very helpful. Couldn't find them on eBay myself. I see they have two sets of part numbers listed. Would you or anyone else here happen to know which ones are correct for the A3 8L? Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Tufty does that kit the s3 as well?
    The set in the bottom link look to be S3 ones... tbh most cars I see have them missing... I think the A3 one is a full length jobber goes all the way under the engine to the subframe but there is no reason why the the kit designed for the S3 won't fit an A3...

    <tuffty/>
    Dani_B19 likes this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    The set in the bottom link look to be S3 ones... tbh most cars I see have them missing... I think the A3 one is a full length jobber goes all the way under the engine to the subframe but there is no reason why the the kit designed for the S3 won't fit an A3...
    <tuffty/>
    Hi folks,

    Looking to get something like this Engine Sump Undertray Kit 3pcs Middle, Left and Right Petrol VW AUDI SEAT SKODA | eBay for my A3 1.8.

    Was unsure about ordering this so emailed the eBay seller.

    They replied:

    "there are many numbers for these parts as they fit a lot of VAG cars. this combination is for 1.6 & 1.8t , some models may need a hole cutting for air hose etc. not for diesels. but all info we have (and it is only a guide) is on the ad. Regards Volksbits"

    So I'm a bit confused. Seems vague. Is one for a 1.6 and the other for a 1.8t? If so, will the fit a 1.8 petrol? I emailed the guy back but he didn't respond.

  17. #16
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,598
    AH... I think he means for the passenger side SMIC on the S3... A3's won't have that... VAG will do slightly different variations depending on model specifics but they should still fit... you may just need to cut a hole out...

    Other than going to a dealer I suspect its something you may have to take a chance on...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    AH... I think he means for the passenger side SMIC on the S3... A3's won't have that... VAG will do slightly different variations depending on model specifics but they should still fit... you may just need to cut a hole out...

    Other than going to a dealer I suspect its something you may have to take a chance on...

    <tuffty/>
    Thanks Tuffty. Much appreciated.

  19. #18
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,598
    For what its worth I am gonna buy one of these sets as mine are a little tired... will let you know how it goes

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  20. #19
    russwuss's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    459
    Hey Tuffty, how did fitting the sump guard go? Looking at the same thing myself.. It covers the power steering pipes right? Brought my car with it completely missing - so the two side covers flap about.. Cheers!

  21. #20
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,598
    Quote Originally Posted by russwuss View Post
    Hey Tuffty, how did fitting the sump guard go? Looking at the same thing myself.. It covers the power steering pipes right? Brought my car with it completely missing - so the two side covers flap about.. Cheers!
    Sadly missed the boat on this as they sold out be fore I got around to buying any...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  22. #21
    russwuss's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by ;2135157
    Sadly missed the boat on this as they sold out be fore I got around to buying any...

    <tuffty/>
    Ah okay, I see volkbits are still the undercover tray but says it's for MK4.. Might give it a go for £22 - don't want my power steering pipes rotting again.

  23. #22
    russwuss's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    459
    Just brought this one http://bit.ly/1gDwFA5 which apparently comes with all the clips needed... Will post up the finished product if it helps anyone
    kwistof and cammage08 like this.

  24. #23
    kwistof's Avatar
    South East Events Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Kent
    Posts
    2,283

    My Social Networking

    Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by russwuss View Post
    Just brought this one http://bit.ly/1gDwFA5 which apparently comes with all the clips needed... Will post up the finished product if it helps anyone
    I'd be interested fella -so a review would be great
    2000 S3 APY

    18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

  25. #24
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kilmarnock, Scotland
    Posts
    343
    I bought the Nero bart diesel version on ebay. You can tell its not genuine, but its sturdy enough and fits perfect

  26. #25
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    33
    As above, nero undertray for me worked perfectly on 1.8t

  27. #26
    russwuss's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    459
    Fitted mine today. Says 'with clips' in the advert.. Didn't come with anything.
    Doesn't actually cover the sump (maybe that's how the standard one is? Not sure as mine never had one) but does connect to the two side covers and protect the power steering pumps.. So for £21 I'm happy as it's stopped the rattling

  28. #27
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Hi - 1st time posting!!

    I have a 53 plate A3 3.2V6 Quattro, and I am missing most of the screws to hold on the under plate. I took it off to flush the coolant last week, and they were missing. Does anybody have a link to where I could find some? Thanks.

  29. #28
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,598
    Quote Originally Posted by dantsw13 View Post
    Hi - 1st time posting!!

    I have a 53 plate A3 3.2V6 Quattro, and I am missing most of the screws to hold on the under plate. I took it off to flush the coolant last week, and they were missing. Does anybody have a link to where I could find some? Thanks.
    Wrong section mate... try in the 8P section for your car.. screws and fixings can be got from the dealers... they are not expensive at all...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  30. #29
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Cheers! As you can see, I'm no huge expert, but trying to start!
    <tuffty/> likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Engine under tray
    By doublem_1 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 6th February 2013, 14:45
  2. Sump guard/skid plate
    By S3IZZO in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th October 2012, 17:26
  3. B5 Evolution Aluminium Skid Plate/Sump Guard 1/4" thick -
    By jcb in forum For Sale/Wanted - Audi Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th April 2012, 10:33
  4. Steel Skid Plate / Sump Guard
    By Barks in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 6th January 2012, 23:43
  5. Engine Under tray needed
    By d4mo in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th May 2009, 21:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO