Pulling to the left

Buster

Reaction score
Any ideas what is wrong with my S3, its a 2001 Y reg

It was into audi last week to get checked out but nothing was found (i don't know exactly what they done)

Only possable thing I can think of is the front passanger side tyre is a Bridgstone with about 4mm tread left and the front drivers side is a new Pirelli P6000, I didn't fit them as I only got the car last week

Would that knock it off, I also remember reading somewhere that both tyres on the same axle need to be replaced at the same time as each other on quattros

Remember some guy telling me you should always run p6000 in pairs could be rubbish?

well mine does the same, depending on the road surface.

More often than not, for me its the road surface, and the effect of having fat tyres - they can do what they want to sometimes.

other than that, get your balancing and tracking looked at.

Will get the tracking etc looked at.

What about running different tyres on the same axle

Yes, a tyre of different tread design or a worn tyre can indeed cause a pulling.

Try swapping front to back or left to right. If the problem dissapears or changes then you'll know its the tyres or not.

try to find out what Audi checked? If they did a full 4 wheel aligment check Which i doubt it does take a long time to set up correctly and is costly for them to do and cant be done under warranty unless youve had suspension work done.

Also it depends on how much your car is pulling to one side? A little then its probabaly the tyres, a lot then some thing is definately astray.

get the tyre changed to a p6000 asap if I was you, you could be in all kinds of trouble under hard breaking etc.

I`d never run two tyres of different makes on the same axial, and then different tread depths your just asking for trouble imho.

I had the same problem as you. Car was pulling to the left, took it to Audi to have a look and they said I had a slow puncher on all tyres! My right front type was going bold and all other tyres seemed ok – it seemed like Lee Valley Audi couldn’t be bothered to do a proper test, even though my car was still under warranty at the time.
I ended up buying 4 new tyres, Michelins Pilot Sport 2 (from Kwik-Fit) because I didn’t like the Bridgestone plus they didn’t have much grip. Anyway, after having the new tyres fitted, the car was still pulling to the left every time I accelerate. I eventually took my car into Kwik-Fit to get all four wheel alignment. They noticed that the front right toe was pointing inwards more than 5% (very bad), and the rear left was also pointing inwards 2%. The guy who was very helpful also adjusted the camber angel according to the Audi specification (wheel setting is near the spare wheel).
The car doesn’t pull to the left anymore, it pretty much drives straight. However if the road curves, the car will turn into that direction as if its pulling to the left or right – this is normal.

mine used to pull to the left when i had some rstt replicas with avon tyres, as soon as i put different wheels and tyres on it stoped doing it, the other set was on continentals and the set i have now are on toyo proxs