Re-build of audi 1.8 enine

Repooh

Reaction score
What's good fellas. I've just joined up and want some knowledge from you guys. I have re-built my 1.8 t engine after having blue smoke bellowing out the rear. I found out that the piston was absolutely effed. So I replaced it and put it back in. Now the starter motor isn't engaging with the flywheel? I've asked other vag owners and I've been told its the earth wire. Where would this be?

Where should I connect it to. I'm not too good with electrics better with engine mods. Cheers

There should be a thick earth cable coming from under the battery tray that connects to the head of the top bolt fixing the gearbox to the block... it will be the one towards the front of the car rather than to the rear...

You can see it in the pic below...
CRW_4491.jpg

<tuffty/>

Ok cool mate I'm going to have a look now. If I get stuck I will give you a shout.

I can't see it lol. Anyway you can highlight it. Sorry mate

To. I done that but it's still spinning freely. Could the starter motor need adjusting to fit in? I'm bugging out can you help

Sounds like it might be the solenoid. I would take it out and clean all the contacts, bench test it too.

When you say bench test it what do you mean?

Apply 12v to the solenoid/motor to make sure its working correctly. Hold the motor down as it got a fair bit of torque.

Solenoid works but still won't engage. Still spinning freely? What else could be the problem?

Did you put the flywheel on :laugh:

Or did you change the flywheel and its not the correct one?

Yeah of course but its making a slight knocking sound now. What could that be? I'm pretty sure everything is connected properly. It's just bugging me because it started fine with a @#*Â¥ed piston!

Have you checked the voltage at the starter motor?

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

My only other suggestion is the motor doesn't have the balls to turn the new engine with the new compression. Try taking the plugs out and see if the engine swings over without any compression.

No haven't got the equipment to do the voltage.
Yes I can turn it over by hand.
Maybe. What do you men by swim over? When you turn it you can hear it moving properly.

Maybe you not getting full volts to the starter. You need to check that.

without the spark plugs in there will be no compression in the cylinders as the engine cranks over, so less strain on the starter.
Also disconnect the injector plugs and leave the coil packs out too.
I doubt this will be the issue, but I'm all out of ideas :(

The battery was basically dead aswel would that be a factor because this car started with a big of throttle with an effed piston? So I don't get it! Is there anywhere that I can get electrics diagram for this model.

Got the starter working. But still won't start. Had mechanic have a look and valves are shot from trying to jump it with hardly any oil in it. Effed sake. Where can I get valves from