Stone Chip on S3 windscreen

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi Guys,

I have a choice of using Autoglass or Auto Windscreens to get the stone chips on my windscreen sorted out and not sure which is best, any experience with these companies with S3 / A3 windscreens as I've read lots of horror stories. Is it a bit cheeky claiming for a new windscreen (or a repair) 3 days before your insurance runs out? I think it might be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Ben.

Why cheeky? If you're covered, you're covered.

I used Autoglass for a chip repair a while back and guy came to work carpark and did it there, no hassles. Did quite a good job, but it later unrepaired itself again (a few months later).
My chip was about 3 or 4mm across and more wide than deep, and it was low down on passenger side, so not urgent.

I've used both, and had better experience with RAC-Auto windscreens. They left the car cleaner for a start.

Check the car carefully: autoglass cracked the plastic trim at the bottom (under the wiper arms)- Audi manuals say to remove it, but the mobile fitters don't usually bother, and if they're a bit cackhanded they'll break it.

well I've been putting it off for ages so it could wait a bit longer but I think I want it sorted before I change insurance companies on monday.

I've got two chips, one very small and right in the middle of the windscreen, the other (recent one) is right in my line of sight and I reckon it'll fail an MOT on it so I'm not sure it's repairable (according to ElsaWin any cracks or chips directly in the line of sight should not be repaired)

I'm with direct line so I can choose either Autoglass or Auto Windscreens, if it needs a new screen I want an Audi one, any idea which company I'll have more luck with?

i`d book in with one of them then take a rubber mallett to the screen just before they come out and make sure it cracks. Then they will replace it rather than repair it.

[ QUOTE ]
i`d book in with one of them then take a rubber mallett to the screen just before they come out and make sure it cracks. Then they will replace it rather than repair it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top idea fingermouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif, to be honest I'd rather they repaired it if there not going to replace it with an Audi one, ah well I'll give auto glass a call and see what they say.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also recommend getting it replaced if the chip is in eye line... The chip is still visible when repaired and mine gets on my nerves when I'm driving. For the sake of 50 quid...

well after a lot of phone calls and everyone being a bit useless and telling me I wasn't going to be able to get it fixed until the middle of next week I had a call from the manager at autoglass bracknell that said if I get there tomorrow they'll fill the chips within 30mins as they seem to think they should be ok to fill.

I don't really mind about the new windscreen to be honest if they do a good job, because I'd be more worried about them buggering up fitting a new (non Audi) one than anything.

Cheers for the suggestions guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I was recommended to take my S3 to a local depot which wasn't too far, the screen needs to be bonded with some special glue and takes a few hours to dry before the plastic trim is re-attached?