Car flooding after mods

Neilybabs

Reaction score
Hello peeps,

I have a '98 A3 1.8T (AGU) that had a Jabbasport re-map a few years ago. All gravy.

At the end of last week I picked the car up after having a Forge FMIC, Forge TIP and Toyosports 3" downpipe fitted. I also fit the S2000 cone filter mod and was left with what looked like an air flow sensor? So I zip tied it as close to the filter as I could. Happy days.

I got about 10 miles and stopped at a junction and the car cut out. It seemed like it was flooded as it wasn't having any of it and stank of fuel. I went back to it a few hours later and it started first time and managed to get it home.

I've bought a new K03s which I was going to sling on it before a re-map. Do you think the above is because I haven't had it re-mapped after the mods?

Any advice is gratefully received as ever.

Neil

Have you refitted the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) between the TIP and the filter? If not then you've left the engine without any idea of what air is coming into the system.

Pics speak a thousand words, but this sounds like your problem.

Reactions: Neilybabs
Thanks for your reply.

I'm unable to get a pic at the moment but will try to as soon as I can.

The MAF is definitely on the car. I'm wondering if some oil from the new filter or silicone grease has made it's way in there?

s2000 filter are dry

Mine was very lightly oiled and certainly not 100% dry when it was delivered from car parts 4 less.

Think it's done to withstand moisture?

As Bill says. S2000 filters are dry, they are a paper element.

Fitting the mods will not have caused your issues. Fitting them badly will have.

Plug into vcds and check for codes.

As Bill says. S2000 filters are dry, they are a paper element.

The paper part of the filter was dry....but there was still quite a bit of oily residue in the packaging and around the plastic parts of the product.

Far more than I was ever expecting...so went back and read through the S2000 thread and several other people have mentioned they found the same.

Btw, OP I realise the MAF is on the car.... but make sure the MAFs electrical connector is properly plugged in and secure- should hear a 'click' to know it's securely in there.

Next step would be to check for codes with VCDS as Jardo advised above.

Thanks all for the advice.

I don't have access to VCDS unfortunately, so can't give you any codes etc.

I've had a word with the garage and I'll see if I can get it back to him, although i'm a bit wary of driving it as it cut out a second time when joining a roundabout. Great fun.

Is it worth taking the MAF off and cleaning it?

I've just pushed the connector in and didn't hear a click. I took it off and pushed it back on again to be sure.

I noticed a small black arrow pointing towards the TIP when I removed the connector. Is this the right way round?

Did it drive fine before you fitted the filter? Just thinking that it could be downpipe/lambda related. Obviously fault codes would help.

It did drive ok when I picked it up but I didn't really go any great distance.

I've put the standard air box back on and it's stalled twice since. Wish I had the apparatus to supply the codes!

Doesnt the agu have N ignition module that connects onto or into the airbox? Has this been disturbed or not fitted right?

This must have been the bit that I took off when I installed the S2K filter then....

I just had a quick look at this and the seal isn't complete where I've tried to push it back in. Booger. Could this be the route of all evil?

What would I do with the ignition module if I wanted to stick with the cone filter?

Just leave it plugged in and tuck it out the way, try ziptieing it to the bulkhead.

So I guess the fact that it isn't seated correctly now isn't the main cause of the problems.

Not going to help, but won't cause it to run as you have described.

Quick update. With the MAF disconnected it starts and runs. New MAF required. Coincidence I guess?!

Once again, thanks all for the advice. Gotta love ASN. Love you long time.

For info, if anyone is looking for a genuine Bosch MAF (Part No. 0280 217 117), try: www.germanautosupply.com. A US based company.

The final price was about 110 notes (shipping included) compared to about 135 on a popular online auction site.

Reactions: JudderMan