Rear driveshaft

roryscott30

Reaction score
Hi to all,

i have used this excellent forum for info but i have no introduced myself so apologies.

I wonder if anyone could help, i recently bought a 2001 S3 with 103k miles with fsh and recent work done including brakes and a wheel bearing. The car was very clean and original and appeared to have been well looked after.

My wife was using it initially and in town one day she never noticed the rising temp and it boiled over, no damage done and it turned out the air con fuse had blown which is fixed and all is temp well. I had parked the car on a friday and on he sunday went to start it and the engine management light is on however the car still runs fine with no issues so i am getting a code reader to determine possible causes.

The haldex was next on the list as in the rain it was quite apparent the front whhels were the only driving force so tonight i took a look underneath and investigate if there was an earth strap or electrical connection issue but all looked well. I then noticed the rear drivers side driveshaft cv boot at the diff which was very contorted and on further investigation the joint appears to be totally knacked so far as the diff end flange and connecting driveshaft flange can be spun with ease and the rubber boot crumples up! There is grease everywhere so i imagine this be the reason i have no rear drive but why would this have happened and what has happened, has the cv joint expired inside the boot?

I have had an a3 1.8t quattro and 2wd a3 1.8t and was hoping the s3 was going to be superb but i 'm starting to lose confidence, is it just a run of bad luck or has this car been neglected?

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks

Sorry I can't help with your issues above....

But top lurking :icon_thumright:

Hi again. As an update i jacked the car off the ground and tried it in 2nd gear and 3 out of 4 wheels were spinning with a grating sound coming from the suspect cv joint but output flange at least spinning so it is confirmed cv joint destroyed. As before i have never seen this where the driveshaft remains in place. Thanks for all the advice