Sorry bumper Q. Facelift A3, can S3 pre facelift and facelift bumpers fit?

Paul_TDi

Reaction score
I've given my facelift A3 a nasty parking rash after many late nights in hospital waiting for my son, I knocked a wall on the day picking him up :-(

Question is will a pre facelift bumper and a facelift bumper fit my facelift 2002 A3?

Just trying to widen my options for finding one?

I'm also assuming my currently fog lights will fit in either bumper?

Is there much visual difference on the bumpers? I've looked but can't tell??

Reactions: duke3
Is that to all the above, if so can you elaborate on the visual differences please.

Cheers.

S3 bumpers will fit but you will have to buy the front wings and side skirts.

Been answered 100x on here before.

Just stick to any A3 bumpers.

Unfortunately there seems to be more S3 bumpers about at the moment than facelift A3 bumpers, so merely looking to widen my choices.

I can appreciate the questions may of been asked before but there is not a stickie on this info and with the search engine not being all that great it's hard to find answers to my questions in different context.

I would still go for a S3 bumper as long as it fits, I can put up with mis match wings for a while, until I find replacement ones.

I don't think it will repair too well. the bumper is pushed in a fair fit on the corner....say half a football and there is a large graze which is taken the paint away, I'm sure it can be repaired but certainly not for the cost of a 2nd hand bumper.

The paintwork on the car isn't great any way, so not fussed about 2nd hand replacement.

Well at least in the most primitive (I say that because there might be some fancier solutions round and about) way the dent can be pushed out I think. Won't guarantee it but it's worth a try since you really cannot mess anything up or make it worse if you're careful. I had a little bit smaller dent in the opposite corner of the bumper after hitting a car in a pretty slow speed (next time I'll change tires way before winter months!). And it was pretty easy to push out. Just get your hand behind the dent, either from under the bumper or from above (means taking off the headlight) and start pushing it. Meanwhile use a blow heater (or anything that blows warm air constantly to the spot) to heat the part of the bumper a little bit on the outside. Be really careful with the heating though, you don't want to give it too much heat, just enough that you'll feel it will go pretty easy to push in place. The end result might not be perfecto, meaning it might not get into exactly the original shape, depends of course how much time you put into it. On mine the average non-8L owning person wont notice it probably (if the paint scratches are excluded).

That will get the dent out, then it is just a matter of painting the bumper, have no idea how much that costs in your location. But I figure it can't cost huge, primarily depends on the place you get it done. I was kind of lucky, since the paintwork on mine stayed mostly intact. There were some minor lines/micro cracks in it but since my car is silver it doesn't stand out really and there are enough scratches from previous owner on the front bumper and rear bumper that I won't bother fixing it until I can get everything done.

No you won't.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk at all.

Bolts straight on. No issues.

Yes to all of the original post.

RGL, yes I think I'll give it a go DIY style until I can find something worth buying rather than rushing into tat, at least then it will stop people from staring at the damage. I already have paint for another correction I was planning.

Thanks for the clarification klappe.

16Klappe:1943907 said:

No you won't.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk at all.

Bolts straight on. No issues.

Yes to all of the original post.

Apologies if your upset....

But from what ive read before and can see....
The S3 has wider arches, so I presume the bumper ends will need to be heated and sort of twisted to make it line up with the narrower a3 shell.
So yeah, they could fit, but is it a straight bolt on fit?

God, not everyone is 100% correct all the time but the is always an exception that there the one person who is.....

Well offer made on a S3 bumper in correct colour so hopefully can put theory to practice soon.

Paul_TDi:1944367 said:
Well offer made on a S3 bumper in correct colour so hopefully can put theory to practice soon.

Paul, sorry for any confusion.... Sometimes you miss-read things like I just of done. I thought I've read you cant fit S3 bumpers without wings and side skirts.
Looks like you cant fit S3 wings without side shirts.
Hope all goes well...

No troubles, I had assumed the bumper may stick out a touch due to the wider wings on the S3 and had read that the wings don't fit well/look right without the skirts but I won't be going that far.

Well new bumper found, should hopefully have it to fit next week.

New bumper here, attempted to fit it, but mounting points are damaged, paint it awful so took it off and aiming to get a refund.

I took a heat gun to my old bumper and popped the dent out with no issues. under the bumper the crash bar has been crushed very slightly on the corner and one of the head light clips has snapped off.

When a bumper is sold as "solid" and "paint not perfect, could do with respray" I take that as the bumper has not been twisted or damaged, fixing points are entire and paint is acceptable but if your a show goer it needs painting.

Where as the actual truth is an entire arch lining mounting strip had been cut or broken off, there were additional holes drilled into the bumper where it meet the guild rails to bodge it on and because of these extra holes where it's been forced on there are stress lines and cracked in the paint. The "non-genuine" washer covers it came with were random bits of cut plastic coloured with felt tip pens then glued to the bumper.

Where did you source the bumper from? Doesn't sounds like a great seller!

Hope you can get a full refund

Seller on ED38 so being a forum member I expected better to be honest.

Won't name and shame for now, I'll see how he deals with my complaint.

Ouch you had a rough time, I've paid for courier service but I would be even more peed off if I had wasted time and fuel to collect.

Currently in it for about £170, £150 to this bloke which was meant to include the bumper rails and cruise control loom which were all missing (hardly surprising if they had gone missing in transit as it was so purely wrap, merely bubble wrap around the front of the bumper). I had bought washer covers and washers from another bloke for 20 quid, which I had stumped up the extra cash and bought from Big_Al off here.

Well the seller has come up trumps, admitted his description of the paint condition wasn't accurate so bumper being returned for refund. I'll loose out on 25-30 quid for a courier cost but that'll teach me for rushing into a purchase.

Now to decide weather or not to pay out even more for the other S3 bumper I was looking at or just put up with a grazed bumper.

Haha, I'm un decided at the moment.

Would like an S3 bumper, I personally like them, but I've got more important things to splash the cash on.

Seller has gone sour, got the bumper back now holding onto my money.

Beware of redgolfmk2 on ebay or Jon from Swansea on ED38. Currently breaking an S3 lookalike.

Seller has gone sour, got the bumper back now holding onto my money.

Beware of redgolfmk2 on ebay or Jon from Swansea on ED38. Currently breaking an S3 lookalike.
I know this is kinda an old topic, but how did it turn out ? Did you go for the S3 ?

Enviado do meu MI 8 Lite através do Tapatalk