1.8T starting probs

keendean

Reaction score
Every now and again, my car starts goes to 1000rpm then cuts out straight away it can do this sometimes 3 or 4 times. All good for a week or two, does it every now and again, it was only serviced last month by Audi so if there was a fault code they should have noticed.
Is this one of the coilpacks failing? If so how do you know which one it is or what it is, I don't want to be stuck like I was in my Mk3 Golf 2 months ago, with a v.similar problem, new coil and all was good.

Any ideas? TIA

Sounds like a faulty coolant temp sensor maybe.

Or perhaps an immobiliser key reader issue. Does the light with the key symbol appear when the car starts and stalls?

I'll have a look next time, and use a different key, atm the key I'm using has the master key on the fob too (black plastic one)

If it starts fine then dies immediately it is the immobiliser cutting in.
Mine does this occasionally, as HTC says its caused by the reader coil failing to read the key. There was a DIY fix posted on here a while back (on the B5 forum IIRC), or you're looking at a new ignition barrel/reader coil with probable new key & associated problems.

Dodgy fuel pump? As a few of us with 1.8T's have found it starts easier with a full tank of fuel, although (touch wood) mine hasn't failed to start yet. Just wondering if it only does it when your fuel's low?

I'll have a look, I'm using the spare key atm, and the fuel is low, in the past when it has not started, I took teh key out, waited 30seconds then tried again, then it worked. I was in teh car wash the other day, and it had me thinking, please start car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I usually just put the key in the ignition and wait a few seconds before starting. This normally does the trick

I had my timing belt done last month and when i picked the car back up it has been doing the same thing periodically. I was told i had a faulty vacum pipe but that was fixed and the problem still happens (although not as much)

I'm using the spare key, the one without the plastic master key on the fob, touch wood it's starting fine every time. I do wait for it to display Ok before I start it now, not that it would make any diff.