Battery Problems (Audi S3)

Vman

Reaction score
Over the last week when starting the car I have noticed the battery does not seem to be fully charged but the car did manage to start. Then Saturday went to start the car not enough charge to start it. So jump started the car via my birds Fiesta Finesse (slightly embarrassing). My questions are :-

1. Can I buy a new battery from say Halfords or does it have to come from a stealer ?

2. How do I take the battery out ?

3. I believe the alternator is ok because when the car is running the approx 14.50 volts at the battery that's with lights on, heating on, heated seats on etc. Is this correct ?

Thanks.

Yes you can buy a battery from halfords...

As for changing it, its very easy. Just disconnect the terminals and swap it over.

You may lose your radio coding so make sure you know it before you do so..

Hope this helps
Rich.

Hmmm sounds like mine.

Mine starting doing this 2 weeks back and finally wouldn't start at 5:00AM last Saturday just before I had to go to work. So I had to leave it unlocked and run to work, great stuff!

Charged it over night on Saturday and it's been fine until this morning again. Now it's dead again and on charge.

Will have to get a new battery, but I am skint at the moment LOL. I suppose a week then charge isn't bad PMSL

I suppose it's the time of the year with it being cold and having to work harder to turn the engine over.

Let me know what sort of price it cost you. As I will have to get one.

Mark.

No idea what Halfords charge for a battery but I replaced mine recently with a Bosch one from Costco for £30

Thanks mate - that is a superb price for a battery.

Bought a battery form Halfords for the birds Fiesta Finesse that was £47. I am expecting about £60 for the S3.

yup, sounds well cheap. last battery i bought was for a 1.8 A4 with aircon, and cost £70.

when you reconnect the battery, you will find your engine runs less smoothly than before - it might even feel like its gonna stall from time to time - this is the ECU resetting and forgetting how a car works ("your driving style" allegedly) it sorts itself out in about a week

[ QUOTE ]
.... it sorts itself out in about a week

[/ QUOTE ]

and usually feels slower......

Got a battery from Halfords £56 inc. a 4 year gaurantee. Not as good as Costco but not bad though.

Went to fit it disconnected the terminals which was a hassle. Went to lift the battery out still would not move there must be another clip / bolt holding it in. Will have another go later - weather was crap last night. (Wish I had a garage!)

Thanks mate, thought that was the bolt I need to remove. Hopefully the weather will be better tonight.

Managed to fit the new battery last night - its easy when you know how. Thanks for the help.

When starting the car it does not run very smooth when idling as said above it must be the ECU reseting itself. It seems ok when accelarating. If no change in a couple days I will take it in and get it checked out. Throttle settings maybe lost.

You probably should perform a throttle body alignment. Some audi's do this automatically when you switch the ignition on and leave it for a few mins until the throttle body stepper motor stops humming (don't touch pedal during this process).

If not, you can do it via vagcom.

Like you say, see how it is in a few days.

itll right itself i promise you, if it was fine before. But do wait a week atleast!