How to tell between 8l and 8p coilovers

5l4y3r10

Reaction score
Found some coilovers for sale, the advert says they are brand new, believe they are fk. He brought the, for his 2005 a3 but they sent wrong ones and won't give him his money back or something, so I am thinking maybe they sent him 8l ones, how would I tell if these will fit mine, I have a 2003 facelift aum, thankyou :)

Surely there is a part number on them.

There's a tab for the ARB drop links attached to the body of 8P coilovers where as the drop links on an 8L attach to the lower arms

There's a tab for the ARB drop links attached to the body of 8P coilovers where as the drop links on an 8L attach to the lower arms

No.

That's on non-quattro cars, and as such most after market 8L coilovers have the drop link lug on them so that they only need to make one coilover for all models.

So the tab isn't a definitive yes or no.

Reactions: Alex C
Hmmm, thanks for the help, I'll ask to see if there is a part number on them.

I've never seen any 8L ones with the tabs.

Also 8p s3 coilovers come with the tab which is.. Quattro.

I guess my advise would be, don't be such a tight **** and buy some brand new ones. No questions over if it fits then.

I've never seen any 8L ones with the tabs.

Also 8p s3 coilovers come with the tab which is.. Quattro.

I guess my advise would be, don't be such a tight **** and buy some brand new ones. No questions over if it fits then.

Haha very true but a saving of 100 pound and they are still sealed in box would be a good buy if I new for certain they would fit, can't blame me for trying though aye ;)

stating the obvious, but, have you tried asking the seller? :)

or post a link so others can have a little look?

Looks like 8L ones to me, looks like 8L top mounts would sit right on the top of them. But, I wouldn't take my word for it.

20130806 06280020130806 06275220130806 151627
Looks like 8L ones to me, looks like 8L top mounts would sit right on the top of them. But, I wouldn't take my word for it.

Please see attached photos