Audi S3 problems (newbie)

Aamirshaf22

Reaction score
Hi all!

Im posting on behalf of my brother who currently has a 2003 Audi s3 (225bhp). The car has a front mount intercooler and a remap so should be around the 235hp mark if im correct?

As the car as it is when on boost it makes a whistle noise almost as if its coming from the turbo. He owned another s3 same shape (2003) without a front mount but was remapped. The current s3 seems to have less power almost as if its loosing power somewhere along the lines. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this problem or does anybody know anyone who is willing to help. Im from Westyorkshire (huddersfield) if that helps.

Here's a snap of it next to a friends C63 AMG and an E46 M3 at Id-Workz;
null_zpsafdeb766.png

Welcome to the site.

With remap, it should be nearer to 270 if its an S3 8L, if its got a whistling air noise, then it could have a boost leak, so need to check piping for holes or looseness.

As above, check for boost leaks.....

Check all hoses and juiblie clips. If that fails, find a garage that does a smoke test to reveal and leaks.

As above, check for boost leaks.....

Check all hoses and juiblie clips. If that fails, find a garage that does a smoke test to reveal and leaks.

Yeah I thought it may be a boost leak but i thought maybe the turbo has gone because of the whistle it makes. Im going to inspect the engine today anyway and hopefully i shall find the problem. You said it would be around 270 bhp but he raced a Skoda Fabia Vrs diesel
which was around the 180bhp mark and the cars were almost level.

Definite boost leak, check all inter cooler pipes and all the boost pipes that are above and around the manifold these are very common for leaking. An as above it should definitely be running 270-275 if its mapped with front mount intercooler..

When your in the car and he puts his foot down it just doesn't have a strong pull on the top end. His inter cooler pipe popped of not so long ago but even before that it made the whistle noise. So at first we put it back on and it was an absolute pain as its behind the driver side headlight and it popped of again because he put wd-40 on the inter cooler pipe like a clown. So after that he got annoyed and got both pipes welded together but that didnt seem to stop the whistle. But im going to have an inspection now and hopefully find the problem.

You will here a whistle from the turbo as it boosting more since the remap, certainly check all the smaller rubber pipes on top of the engine also check the DV valve and pipes leading to it.

You will here a whistle from the turbo as it boosting more since the remap, certainly check all the smaller rubber pipes on top of the engine also check the DV valve and pipes leading to it.

The whistle doesn't sound right and its no where near as fast as it should be.

Have you checked the diverter valve