Frozen door latch.........

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
anybody suffered with this in sub zero temps before?

I open the drivers door - no problem, then when I try to close it the latch doesn't catch on the striker - it's like the latch mechanism is frozen!

The freezing weather had an effect on my drivers door latch and its only just been replaced!! it would open but kind of get stuck on the latch until i pushed it shut again then it would open!? thought it was gona be some more misery and wonga. Hasn't happened again since its a bit milder! phew

I have had that too in the past, its a totaly pain - its not like you can drive along holding the door shut!

hold the door handle up for five seconds. This activates the heated door handle... or it may just be the locks...

i dont think this works on rear doors though.

doesnt help when it happens but try to prevent it before hand by lubricating them well with a good quality grease.

I had this happen on mine last Saturday at 5.00AM just before I went to work.

I got into the car by opening the door locks from the boot! As I've got no locks on the door handles.

It didn't help that the battery was flat as well though!

P.S I've got no heated door locks as mine packed up lasted year got stuck on and flattened the battery. So they got binned!

They only help the locks, not the latches. As said, best to make sure they are well greased so no moisture gets in. Its just as bad when the rubber door seal freezes the door shut! Got flamed here a while back here for suggesting using vasaline. It rots condoms so will also eat your door seals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mark, im sure i have 1 or maybe 2 heaters for the door locks if you need them. Its the square unit.
Also have two door latches as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark, im sure i have 1 or maybe 2 heaters for the door locks if you need them. Its the square unit.
Also have two door latches as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

But seeing as though I've got no locks I will be leaving them off anyway.