EM TuningVolks Autos
    5am
    Reverse Gear

Status

My car keeps thinking the door is always open

Hi,

Everytime i close the drivers door the little screen between the speedo and rev counter keeps thinking the drivers door open and keeps the roof light on.

What do i need to adjust for it to work normally and stop thinking that the door is always open?

Thanks.
    2002 Audi A3 1.9 tdi.
    ATD engine.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 5am View Post
    Hi,

Everytime i close the drivers door the little screen between the speedo and rev counter keeps thinking the drivers door open and keeps the roof light on.

What do i need to adjust for it to work normally and stop thinking that the door is always open?

Thanks.
    I have been having the very same issue !! What l have noticed is when l go to lock the car with the remote the indicators do not flash, but the doors will still lock. In my previous car that was an indication that there was something left open. So i opened and closed the boot and started the car. Opened and closed the central locking with the controls on the drivers door. turned off and got out and opened and closed the car with the remote. lol then l got back in and started, all was fine !! It has happened twice to me, but once i done this its been fine for weeks. I do not have a technical answer, maybe tuffty, prawn or klappe will come in with the actual reason but this worked for me. I think it may be my children messing with all the buttons when im in the shop or something lol

Brendan

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    There is a microswitch in the door latch mechanism that fails... its a common issue... the fix is typically to buy a new latch mech but these are expensive and second hand latches are prone to this issue too (its that common)... All Mk4 chassis cars are the same..

An alternative is to attempt to replace the microswitch with one from Maplins (or similar)... there are a few 'how to's' on the internet... there is one I remember on the TT forum so have a google...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Haha told you tuffty would have the answer lol !!

Mine is intermittant and l think even when it does go completely, i think it will be a trip to auto electrician for repair !!

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    If you do a search, there is a well documented fix on the forum, a few of us have tried and it worked.

Search for microswitch and that should get it sorted for you.

Quickly from me, I sprayed some WD40 in the area and got a wire coat hanger in there to pull the switch a bit, you will know you have touched it when the light on the door goes on and off.

Simple as that.

5am
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Nice one thanks people. I'll check it out.
    2002 Audi A3 1.9 tdi.
    ATD engine.