EM TuningBadger5
    4th Gear

Status

To gap or not gap? New plugs and tfsi coils

One of my bolt down coil packs died on the dyno the other day so after Bill found me one lying around he told me to fit new ones asap, being a good boy I've just got some tfsi ones and thought I may as well change my plugs as I'm in the area. I'm fitting the usual BKR7E's, last time I gapped them to 0.7 or 0.8, I can't remember which though, question is do I need to gap them at all?
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

2. # ADS
    ADS

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    I kept mine at the standard gap and it all works fine on my APY with TFSI coils (Stage 1)
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

4th Gear

Status
    Sweet! Cheers dude, I'll be doing that then

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    The original hype over TFSI coils was that you could run bigger gaps... I have been running 0.85mm on BKR7E's for over a year now and have covered around 6k miles in that time... for me on my high boost setting (1.8bar) in the current warm weather I get the occasional misfire under boost... on my day to day map (1.6bar) its fine...

I have also seen TFSI coils fail... they are no different in that respect to any other coil pack....

I have a new set of plugs to go into my stroker engine and intend to gap back down to 0.7mm... this has worked perfectly in the past on std 20v coils so see no reason why this wouldn't be fine for my new engine... pretty sure Bill uses 0.7mm on TFSI coils for his race car... if its good enough for a 600hp race car then its good enough for me...

I think the TFSI thing is a little over hyped... not seen any real evidence to suggest they are any better and that running the larger gap makes much difference... in the tests we did on the lupo there was no difference in power etc...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks Tuffty, if i'm honest I only went for the tfsi ones because tps wanted 180 for a set of bolt downs and the tfsi ones were 80! As you saw on the dyno mine all need replacing and there was a bit of a fuss about these so its worth a bash, got to be better than 13 yr old ones anyway. I'll use the plugs straight out the box and if theres anything wrong gap them to 0.7

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach3 View Post
    Thanks Tuffty, if i'm honest I only went for the tfsi ones because tps wanted 180 for a set of bolt downs and the tfsi ones were 80! As you saw on the dyno mine all need replacing and there was a bit of a fuss about these so its worth a bash, got to be better than 13 yr old ones anyway. I'll use the plugs straight out the box and if theres anything wrong gap them to 0.7
    What are you using as adaptors? OE ones for your cam cover are less than 2 quid each... part numbers etc are in my build thread and the TFSI coil pack thread linked in the in the FAQ sticky thread

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    Cheers dude, i picked up my set today from tps, cost an awe inspiring £6.06p lol As said I found the details courtesy of the info you posted,bonus!

6th Gear

Status
    mine are gapped at 0.8mm with no issues using TFSI coils
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system