Sachs paddle clutch plate

s3 Hoggy

Whats going on???
Reaction score
Hi all had a bit of clutch slip the other night which has made me think about a clutch upgrade! I'm hoping to copy tufty's clutch set up but I'm not able to find a price or a place to buy the Sachs paddle plate?
I know Bill supply's them. But as I'm not quite ready to buy it yet I don't want to annoy him with silly questions, as I appreciate he's a busy fella! Reason I'm looking to fit this clutch is one day I'll retire my car into a bit more of a toy

Cheers Matt

Reactions: JimS3
Just buy it from Bill dude... what else do you need to know?

<tuffty/>

I will do Paul but I just wanted to know a rough price before I commit mate any idea?

Also how does it feel now you've had it fitted for a good while mate?

I will do Paul but I just wanted to know a rough price before I commit mate any idea?

250-280 ish iirc

Also how does it feel now you've had it fitted for a good while mate?

Feels like OE tbh... its light but certainly got a bite to it... as long as you don't ride the clutch or hold the car on a hill with it too often it will be fine... mines been on for 20k + miles now... will soon see how its fared of course when I take the engine out in the next few weeks

<tuffty/>

Yeah but that's what VW "rate" it to isn't it? Seems to be fairly strong from most reports?

I saw that but quite a low torque limit. I think I'm going to have to go for the Clutch Masters FX450.

This looked good until you realise that it also has a low torque limit without spending $1,600!
S3 Quattro 165KW / 224PS BAM Bj.10/2001- : Sachs Performance / Race Kupplungssatz / Set 883089.000052 883089 000052 Audi S3 TT 1.8T Seat Cupra VW 1.8T 20V Turbo 1.9 TDI 6Gang

That's the kit I bought, got it direct from Sachs, it dose make the box chatter a bit on idle but it's got a good bite to it, feels like a paddle as it's got a strong face plate so is a little heavier on the foot, if you want to upgrade it to the next up its the same kit but comes with the paddle plate that tuffty showed you above, only thing is it dose bite a little high for my liking and I need to see what it's like when I have got mine maped but by the feel I'm quite sure it will be fine but time will tell

Yeah... very strong box but would imagine its subjective to use at the end of the day...

Same with the clutch I guess... clutches seem to be a ballache to spec and an expensive one to get get wrong... clutch choice also seems subjective... some like paddle setups and some don't etc... some last 30k, some explode in 5k... too many variables I guess... you either over spec and pay a fortune with the potential for it to give you calves like arnie each time you pull up in traffic or go for a compromise spec and be firm but responsible with its use...

I am happy with the setup I have... would be nice if it would go a few more miles (which I think the next one will) but whatever you choose it will need replacing at some point so something to bare in mind on your choice... relatively expensive high performance clutches like the one Bill uses in his Ibiza (Spec clutch IIRC) can last a while as the car does low mileage and you could get a few years out of it easily but on a road car its gonna be a different story...

I like mine though... very light in use but 'grippy' and can take the abuse when I have given it... I doubt I will be launching much if at all on the new plate once the current 'upgrades' are done (ok, maybe once just to see) and never had an issue previously... will have to see how it copes with the potential torque from the stroker and GT35 setup I guess... if it doesn't cope then I will have to look again

<tuffty/>

Yeah you're right. Like with anything it's how much mechanical sympathy you give it which will effect how long it lasts I guess.

That's the kit I bought, got it direct from Sachs, it dose make the box chatter a bit on idle but it's got a good bite to it, feels like a paddle as it's got a strong face plate so is a little heavier on the foot, if you want to upgrade it to the next up its the same kit but comes with the paddle plate that tuffty showed you above, only thing is it dose bite a little high for my liking and I need to see what it's like when I have got mine maped but by the feel I'm quite sure it will be fine but time will tell

Was it cheaper going direct from Sachs? What spec are you running? BT if I'm not mistaken?

The unit itself is cheap yeah. The labour to get it changed, less so. I'd do it myselt but I live in apartment and have naff all room really to do a job like that. Plus sod doing it on a driveway :/

The unit itself is cheap yeah. The labour to get it changed, less so. I'd do it myselt but I live in apartment and have naff all room really to do a job like that. Plus sod doing it on a driveway :/

I can vouch for the not doing it at home bit. Mine still isn't finished and I have a LOT of tools.

Yeah you're right. Like with anything it's how much mechanical sympathy you give it which will effect how long it lasts I guess.

Was it cheaper going direct from Sachs? What spec are you running? BT if I'm not mistaken?
will dig out the bill for it later for you as I can't remember lol, I went as far as I could go with a hybrid apart from water meth and cams in the end as far as I'm aware so I hope it will cope with the early toque.

Sorry to dig this post up again, just wanted to ask do your wife's / girlfriends /Mistress drive your cars with a paddle clutch? And if so how do they get on with it? I'm in the process of choosing a clutch. I really like the sound off this setup.

Cheers

Its a good OEM feel to the clutch with a real bite. IT takes abit of getting used to but my mrs is still learning to drive and she's pretty much alright with it! Its only 1st where it feels quite biting, but the rest of the gears are smooth.

Reactions: jitvv
Gops,

Thanks that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I'll call Bill in the New Year and get it ordered.

Cheers

Jit.

No worries mate! If your ever around the midlands, just shout me and ill show you what it feels like.

Reactions: jitvv
hi guys

when using this clutch plate are you just fitting it to the standard DMF and pressure plate?

cheers

can anyone using this clutch plate advise if you are using with the standard pressure plate or the SRE uprated pressure plate?

ive been looking around but im a little confused i know its a standard OE dual mass flywheel that people are using and i have a new one already but im itching to order the clutch asap

cheers