inner cv boot replacement

S3_chris 11

Reaction score
I noticed today a rather loud squealing noise coming from the passenger front. Only to notice the inner cv boot has split all the way round with no signs of any grease. And I have no idea how long its been like that tbh as never heard anything till now. How easy is it to change it? Do I need to take the whole shaft out or is there an easy way? The shop is trying to sell me gearbox oil, is this something I need as I thought it was just engine oil id need?

Help appreciated guys

Last edited:
Hi,

I had this happen on my drivers side recently. Best option is to buy the CV boot repair kit either from Audi or TPS its about £40 and comes with all the bits needed to do the job eg hub bolt and the grease too.

I didn't fancy doing the job myself so got a local independent garage to fit it for me for about an hour and half labour charge.

Make sure you get it done sooner rather than later as you don't want the joint drying out as then you may need to replace some expensive bits.

Think this is covered in tufftys thread, and a little in mine as i did two shafts using tufftys thread as a guide.

Its a cheap fix, but its fecking mess thats all. Requires shafts out, no gearbox oil tho.
You'l need a long extension for the shaft bolts, theres 6 bolts if i recall. Also a large socket for the main hub bolt, i think its a 12 point. And some circlip pliers and pinch pliers for the new clips. Think thats about it. Been a couple years since i did it on the audi tho