EM TuningVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

inner cv boot replacement

I noticed today a rather loud squealing noise coming from the passenger front. Only to notice the inner cv boot has split all the way round with no signs of any grease. And I have no idea how long its been like that tbh as never heard anything till now. How easy is it to change it? Do I need to take the whole shaft out or is there an easy way? The shop is trying to sell me gearbox oil, is this something I need as I thought it was just engine oil id need?

Help appreciated guys
    Last edited by S3_chris 11; 27th July 2013 at 10:50.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Hi,

I had this happen on my drivers side recently. Best option is to buy the CV boot repair kit either from Audi or TPS its about £40 and comes with all the bits needed to do the job eg hub bolt and the grease too.

I didn't fancy doing the job myself so got a local independent garage to fit it for me for about an hour and half labour charge.

Make sure you get it done sooner rather than later as you don't want the joint drying out as then you may need to replace some expensive bits.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Think this is covered in tufftys thread, and a little in mine as i did two shafts using tufftys thread as a guide.

Its a cheap fix, but its fecking mess thats all. Requires shafts out, no gearbox oil tho.
    You'l need a long extension for the shaft bolts, theres 6 bolts if i recall. Also a large socket for the main hub bolt, i think its a 12 point. And some circlip pliers and pinch pliers for the new clips. Think thats about it. Been a couple years since i did it on the audi tho

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    There is a guide in the FAQ sticky...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...