R32 arbs on S3?

ianhg

Reaction score
hey chaps
i am sorry but ive looked and couldnt find the right info on whether they will fit an S3.
My cars off to jbs in jan to get suspension sorted out. JBS can get R32 arbs front and rear both the same mm's as recommended on other threads.
can anyone confirm if they can be fitted instead of forking out twice as much for neuspeed.
thanks

cool thanks, anyone know if there is much difference in the handling?

[ QUOTE ]
JBS can get R32 arbs front and rear both the same mm's as recommended on other threads.
can anyone confirm if they can be fitted instead of forking out twice as much for neuspeed.
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they can...and they will improve the handling...but: The front ARB is a tad too large to be most effective on an S3.

Also, JBS can'r supply R32 ARDs the same diameters as Neuspeed ARBs...because R32 ARBs AREN'T the same size as Neuspeed ARBs!

Personally, I feel R32 ARBs are not the best upgrade...but it IS the most cost effective.

The Neuspeed ARBs are better suited by virtue of the 1mm smaller front bar, which reduces understeer over the R32 bar, and gives a slightly more rear biased set up.

However...the R32 set up IS an improvement...and cheap....but I'd rather spend a little more and get what I perceive as a slightly better combination.

Not trying to hijack this thread but would upgrading the ARBs be the starting poin to upgrading the suspension overall or would it be better to do the rear tie bars or struts/springs first ? Don't have th cash just now for the whole lot and would prefer to do it bit by bit.

cheers

kev

How about...

1st set up the (standard) suspension plus play with tyre pressures
2nd uprated dampers or springs and dampers
3rd lowered springs (if not already done) plus uprated dampers
4th adjustable rear tie bars - with an aggressive suspension set up
5th light weight 18" wheels
6th ARBs
7th widen the track with spacers

I would not fit big ARBs with standard weak dampers...they ar likely to snap unload mid-way round a corner and spit you off - this was a lesson I learned the hard way by having it happen to me...and wrote my Integra Type-R off in the process of learning it.
Standard dampers are just not up to the job of controlling suspension with big ARBs...especially at the rear.

On the subject of handling Glen, did you notice the weight difference when you fitted the BBS wheels, is the lesser amount of unsprung weight a major difference in handl;ing in your point of view?
Also, is it wise to adjust the tyre pressures after having my Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs fitted - thanx

[ QUOTE ]
On the subject of handling Glen, did you notice the weight difference when you fitted the BBS wheels, is the lesser amount of unsprung weight a major difference in handl;ing in your point of view?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to say for sure that there was a difference...the car felt much more lively, and more willing to change direction, but that could have been down to the change in tyre profile, but the effects are what would be expected with slightly lighter wheels.

The BBS RSII 18" wheels with tyres are only about 1lb per wheel lighter than the standard 17" set up...but the main thing is that they weren't heavier...and as weight saving goes, every little helps - especially unsprung weight.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, is it wise to adjust the tyre pressures after having my Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs fitted - thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...you'll probably find the car responds differently to different tyre pressures once the suspension is fitted.
Have a play...you've nothing to loose.