Cam belt

MarcS3

Reaction score
Hi do i need to replace cam belt damper when doing the belt, I brought a cam belt kit and got pulley etc and got told not to do damper

Yes, get a damper... and a water pump if you haven't got one with the kit...

VAG don't spec a damper as part of a cam belt change but I have seen these fail shortly after a cam belt change... never worth risking it when there is so much at stake...

Last one I got for mine came from GSF and is essentially a VAG one with the 4 rings machined off...

<tuffty/>

Definitely change the damper I had a very lucky escape last year when mine started to rattle, sounded like an exhaust heat shield was chattering, fortunately garage spotted real cause before it let go and trashed my engine. As Tufty says do the water pump at same time

Got water pump, what are your opinions between metal and plastic?
just finished rebuilding the head and putting back together after belt failed so don't want to risk it
Thank you

Personally would just buy an OE plastic ones... yes they used to fail but the new ones appear better and all metal impeller pumps I have seen leak through the shaft very quickly

<tuffty/>

Definitely change the damper I had a very lucky escape last year when mine started to rattle, sounded like an exhaust heat shield was chattering, fortunately garage spotted real cause before it let go and trashed my engine. As Tufty says do the water pump at same time
Hi, I have what sounds like a exhaust heat shield rattle. Did you get rattle all the time or just certain engine speeds? Mine comes on when engine starts to warm at idle then goes away again.