FWD vs 4WD?

elucidate

Reaction score
I've just made a trip of approx 20 miles in light traffic at 4pm.

So, I'm sat in my FWD Audi A3 at a red light after a very slight bend in Bracknell, next to the Hilton.

You know how you worry when you see someone coming up behind you too fast if they are going to hit you, well I was busy doing that as a black Audi TT roared up behind me, and as he came closer I saw the little wobble of his car as his brakes locked and ABS took over. He did stop however, about 1ft from my bumper, and filled my car with the lovely smell of hot brakes.

So, he evidentally had to get somewhere in a hurry, and as the traffic was in both lanes, I couldn't move out his way, so I decided at the next roundabout to boot the car and get into the inside lane as quickly as possible.

So, straight off the next roundabout and I put my foot down, hard. He's keeping pace with me until I hit third gear at which point I speed away leaving him for dead, so I pull over and he pulls over some distance behind me, still going swiftly but it takes him a few seconds to catch up, which is odd considering his speed earlier.

Eventually he passes me, and looks the other way as he passes, and then I notice it. One exhaust, so he has the 180Bhp TT, and it evidentally is not chipped.

My A3 is chipped and is only putting out 183Bhp and 204ft.lbs of torque according to AmD so why did I so comprehensively slaughter him? I assume the extra weight of the quattro system means a slower speed?

And as he bought the cheap TT and hasn't chipped it, you can probably also safely assume he sticks supermarket fuel in it too.

But, does the quattro really make that much of a difference or is the 180Bhp TT just a bit rubbish?

The guy was certainly motoring until he realised my car, which is debadged as far as model goes, was a fair bit quicker than his....

FWD 1.8T weight: 1250kg ~ish including driver
TT Coupe weight: 1550kg ~ish including driver
(Based on the weighbridge at Sutton municipal tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

So providing you can get the power down you should be faster. The only thing in the TT's advantage is the 6 speed 'box has shorter ratios than the A3, which might even things out a bit.

[ QUOTE ]

Eventually he passes me, and looks the other way as he passes, and then I notice it. One exhaust, so he has the 180Bhp TT

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was only the 150 bhp that had a single pipe ? Ive always assumed the twin pipes were 180 / 225........perhaps I am wrong then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nope.

180's have single pipes.

however its easy to mod to twin pipes.

the bit wwith the cut out in the bumper is removable seperate to the main bumper.

purchase a honeycombe v6 insert ands you have two cut outs ready for a double back box and you wouldnt even need to paint it!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Eventually he passes me, and looks the other way as he passes, and then I notice it. One exhaust, so he has the 180Bhp TT

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was only the 150 bhp that had a single pipe ? Ive always assumed the twin pipes were 180 / 225........perhaps I am wrong then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 2 pipes for the 225 BHP 1.8T and 250 BHP 3.2

1 pipe for either the 150 BHP or 180 BHP 1.8T me thinks.....

IIRC, the 150 is single tailpipe and 2WD, the early 180s had single tailpipes, later ones had twin pipes, probably after facelift.

It could have been a 180 TT. All UK 180's are quattro, therefore they will have greater transmission losses than a FWD A3.

Therefore a 180 bhp quattro TT puts a fair bit less power to the wheels and is heavier than a 183bhp FWD A3.

Then again, it could have been a 150 TT, which is not quattro, so you are 30bhp up on him and 300kg lighter.