fans on but needle isnt at the top and hot hard pipes

James TQ

Reaction score
after a drive last night a pulled up outside my house and my fans were on, the needle was udner 120 so i dont see why the fans are on, the hard pipes going from the fmic to the turbo were also hot is this normal or do i have faulty guages/sensors,

car has a front mount and is un mapped thanks

Fans come on between 96 and 100degrees typically... if yours is at 120 degrees then suggests you have problems... (typically a failed water pump)

Charge air coming out the turbo before it hits the FMIC can be well over 100 degrees, its sat in a hot engine bay, the ambient has been 30 degrees of late... hot pipework is normal :)

<tuffty/>

Sorry looking at the dials now it was sitting at about 80 not 120... I think they come on when I stop, is the just due to no air being drawn it so the fans assist? The needle has never exceeded 90

CTS could be ******** if its reading 80 but fans are on... also remember fans are on when aircon is switched on...

<tuffty/>

whats a CTs may i ask? the inlet manifold is only warm to touch, i never use the aircon and the fan were on for 10 seconds or so after the ignition is off, the tem sometimes hits 90 but normally sits around 80 ish

Might seem like a silly response, but have you actually checked the water level?

Had similar experience with another motor, the needle was fine but it turned out that I was 2 litres short of fluid (hence the reason the fans were on keeping everything normal!)