S3 too low, headlight leveling sensor problem

rouHe

Reaction score
Okay.
I bought my Audi S3 -00 about 3 weeks ago from a dealer. It has been in repairshop ever since for various reasons (oil level sensor, abs lights, hydr. pump, wiring,...).

Well now they have been fixing the headlights auto-leveling system, I got a call from repairshop that my S3 is way too low, so they can't fit the sensor, because sensor will hit on some rod if I drive over bump etc. breaking the sensor again.

So is there easy way to fix this?
Im not very eager to buy new set of coilovers.

It had "manual" headlight leveling switch when I bought it, well now I know why :(

Got car back from repairshop, sensor was hitting the front anti-swey bar.

Have any1 idea if aftermarket swey bars will help, so even the car is low bar wont hit the sensor ? I noticed KW had different model if the car have original xenon's, something to do with the sensor ?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about experiences with your new S3, I cannot really offer much advice/support as I am new to them myself.
I had problems with mine, just got it back today after it being off the road for two weeks (owned it around 6 weeks now).. Haha.
Stick with it! I'm sure people will have advice for you shortly.

In my eyes, the self levelling system will be setup to run at the specific standard ride height, any alterations in suspension movement (I.e. going over bumps) will adjust the lights.. A lowered car, in my eyes will have the effect of the lights always pointing in a 'more upward' position.
With regards to the sensor itself, on the front the only thing that could be stopping you (if you are extremely low) would be the sensor swing arm, being that it doesn't have room for full travel, being already near the top of its stroke.
The ARB (anti roll bar) shouldn't cause you problems, as this is connected to the drop link, then to your coilovers. This shouldn't be making contact with / causing clearance issues.
There is a sensor on the rear left bottom control arm, but I don't know if this is headlight related.
Someone more educated in S3's can shoot me down in flames! As I've probably got it all wrong.
Let us know how it goes!
Conor.

They can be re-calibrated in VCDS for when ride height is changed and really should be done whenever you change suspension. There's nothing more irritating than someone driving behind you or towards you with misaligned lights.

It does run close to the drop link but it shouldn't hit. You're running standard parts other than coilovers by the looks of it so should have no issues at all?

I run tubular control arms so a little different but I made a bracket to use the OEM position, you can see how close it is:

IMG_3709.jpg

Well, all I know is that I have some H&R cup kit/springs (29 438-1), still checking if I could get any clues (35mm front & back, in MOT paper) kinda "hard" for my ***.

Still kinda clueless about how the system works, but it shouldnt hit the drop link in any situation ?

Would be nice to see more pictures :)

The rod that goes between the sensor and the control arm isn't straight (I think you can see in the pic) so it has a bit more clearance than a straight arm would. Maybe he doesn't have that arm so thinks it'll hit?

I will ask them about it again, maybe they just didnt had the rod or the "know_how".

Thank you for pics and advices :)

Talked with the repairman. Yesterday he tried to install the sensors rod, but when he dropped the car down and rotated the wheels to left, rod and the droplink's bolt touched already together.

He suggested followings: new coilovers with shock struts or new ARB that is wider so bolt wont hit hit anything and the cheapest one was to cut ARB/Droplink's bolt a little.

He also mentioned that, bolt (green) was hitting the metal plate (red) and the sensors rod and sensor is almost touching engine/frame (yellow?)

Luckily next "MOT"/ inspection is next year, so I have plenty of time to figure this out :D

I wonder if he has that connecting rod on the wrong way. It'll only clear one way around. If you have a stock ARB and stock (they look like pattern parts) drop links then you should have no issues?

Can i asked some Questions on this ?
, as jUst got my S3 52 plate and have issues with these lights , I did get under the car to checked no arms were broken and all were intact , rear and front,
the front BTW Does have a bend in the arm different to the rear one
< So , do these connect with headlight motors plus controlled by headlight range control relay ???

I know these lights dont dip up and down like you get if you have a manual height adjustment switch
, At least i dont think they do and cannot remeber if my TT had done that
, My Bm i just sold did this as had man control , Is this purely for load bearing ? , ie, towing etc ?

I noticed motor in pass side was not making any noise so removed to replace
, opened it up first to find it had seized up , WD40 freed it up and now working and managed to get it back in with breaking anything but i see John wayne or one of his mates has bodged the top manual adjuster as plastic cogs are missing from the little rod that comes from the housing and a screw has been wedged into the side of it .

I went to a scrappy yesterday and found an A3 sport which had the same set up so removed these cog wheels but wont go on as the rod on mine has worn and wont hold them , So have now dressed the bodge up by putting a nut on the end of the rod but still have to keep the screw in there to stop the rod going back inwards

realy need to get the nut all the way down the rod then fit another at the end of it ... Mare !!!

that A3 at the scrappy had the same lights but not HID , he wanted £80.00 for them but thinking creating even more of a job doing this ... Also while i think of this , anyone tried cleaning the lenses with success , have tried so far , T cut , G3 and poorboys on a rotary head, but no luck. ... Do ineed to use some harsher grade paper then work down to a fine ... i have looks at the Megs kit in halfrauds for £20.00 but is it going to work ??

Last edited:
Can i asked some Questions on this , as jUst got my S3 52 plate and have issues with these lights, I did get under the car to checked no arms were broken and all were intact , rear and front, the front BTW Does have a bend in the arm different to the rear one < So , do these connect with headlight motors plus controlled by headlight range control relay ??? I know these lights dont dip up and down like you get if you have a manual height adjustment switch , At leasdt i dont think they do and cannot remeber if my TT had done that , My Bm i just sold did this as had man control , Is this purely for load bearing , ie, towing etc ? I noticed motor in pass side was not making any noise so removed to replace , opened it up first to find it had seized up , WD40 freed it up and now working and managed to get it back in with breaking anything but i see John wayne or one of his mates has bodged the top man adjuster as plastic cogs are missing from the little rod that comes from the housing and a screw has been wedged into the side of it . I went to a scrappy yesterday and found an A3 sport which had the same set up so removed these cog wheels but wont go on as the rod on mine has worn and wont hold them , So have now dressed the bodge up by putting a nut on the end of the rod but still have to keep the screw in there to stop the rod going back inwards , realy need to get the nut all the way down the rod then fit another at the end of it ... Mare !!! that A3 at the scrappy had the same lights but not HID , he wanted £80.00 for them but thinking creating even more of a job doing this ... Also while i think of this , anyone tried cleaning the lenses with success , have tried so far , T cut , G3 and poorboys on a rotary head, but no luck. ... Do ineed to use some harsher grade paper then work down to a fine ... i have looks at the Megs kit in halfrauds for £20.00 but is it going to work ??

Can I ask you to please try and format your posts into readable sentances? this text just looks like a jumble of words... I have noticed this on your other posts too..

From the FAQ's...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/34463-use-english-language-please-read.html

Regards

<tuffty/>

is the arb centered? ie same on both sides, will it move towards the wheel? do the droplinks look to be sitting at the same angle
mark

is the arb centered? ie same on both sides, will it move towards the wheel? do the droplinks look to be sitting at the same angle
mark

ARB is centered, repairshop checked it.
Not sure of the droplinks, have to check them out later.