Recent work - Coolant Flush, bleeding problems

Conor.demo7

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently coming to the end of a fair amount of work that I have carried out on my S3 (hopefully)...

I have encountered an issue when I came to re-fill the coolant, after a few searches on here and google for 'coolant bleeding', I read that the method people recommend is to, fill the coolant tank to full, run the car with the coolant cap off and top up as necessary..

The problem I have is that I have filled the coolant tank up (it has taken 1.5L in total so far), but when running the car with the cap off, the level does not change! (when held at around 1400rpm and above, the level drops around 10mm, but this returns once the revs drop back down).
I have tried putting the cap on and letting pressure build up, then relieve it, rinse and repeat..

The water pipes seem to be getting warm, as they should in normal practise.
When the fans kick in at 75C, the air flow is warm, to suggest the radiators are getting heat..
Any tips, please?

This is after I had done a Timing Belt and pump change.

The vehicle is a 2002 S3 BAM

Thanks in advance!
Conor.

Ah, yes I missed that out. The heaters are working as they should, blowing hot air through..
I thought the coolant system took around 5L?

I very much doubt you drained the whole 5l system. The 1.5 is probably all you drained and all thts required to fill.
Squeeze pipes, this can help get fluid out of the fill tank and plus you can tell if the pipes are full.

Otherwise, relax and enjoy your car as its probably ok

Reactions: Pedrosousa
Cheers Superkarl! I trusted your advice and didnt worry too much about it, got it fully finished today with the help of 4 wheel alignment, so its finished for the time being haha..

Took it to jbs for this, tracking is all good, he's put a little bit of neg camber on the front.. I enquired about the rear, he said that the rear camber and toe has been setup to as close to spec as possible.

To me it looks like it is cambering a fair bit, but I'll trust the mechanic, he seems sound enough!!!

It appears that my rear left tire is shot, partly due to excessive camber with a broken spring on that corner before, and it seems that I have been over inflating them (worn in the centre)..

Can anyone give me advice on pressures? Running 18" RSTT wheels if that matters.
At the moment I've got 38psi front, 34psi rear.

Cheers, I'll have a run out and adjust my pressures, bored sat at home!
Got the car back, can't keep myself out of the drivers seat!

Also depends on how you drive and personal preference. Just have a play around. Ive been as low as 30psi, but if im doing big journeys i tend to bump it up a bit for that extra economy lol.