Gearbox oil seal leak

Henry2202

Reaction score
Kia ora everyone, I'm new here. After searching the net and posting on another forum, I have no answer. I'm in the process off a clutch replacement after the dmf failed and spat spring bits everywhere, and have come across an oil leak on the gearbox, don't know the technical name, is it driveshaft seal? I've uploaded a picture, is it simple to replace and does the socket have to come out? When I emptied the oil there was only about half a litre, is it likely the gearbox is ********? Thanks all Jo 002

Attachments

• jo 001.jpg
    jo 001.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,443
Year and model of car would help... that looks like quattro box? guessing you have an S3 or A3 TQS?

There are three seal on the transfer box...
IMG_9856.jpg

As the gearbox needs removing to change the DMF then the transfer box will need to be removed for easier removal/refitting of the box anyway (special tool required to undo bolt down the centre of the drivers side drive flange)

<tuffty/>

Hi, Sorry, it's a 2000 S3 AMK. The driveshaft seal certainly needs replacing but I don't know if the transfer small seal does (with the bush that fits into the gearbox) I think the oil from driveshaft seal just ran everywhere.

Replace them all... they weren't expensive but its a dealer part....

Be persistent... took my local dealer a few attempts to get the right screen to show the seals... you may be lucky with your local dealer/TPS...

<tuffty/>

Ok cheers. How do I go about replacing the driveshaft one on the gearbox? Does the driveshaft socket thingy come out?

Ok cheers. How do I go about replacing the driveshaft one on the gearbox? Does the driveshaft socket thingy come out?

There are three seals... if you look at the pic I posted earlier they are all attached to the transfer box... easy peasy... you do need a special tool to remove the bolt in the centre of the drive flange (transfer box side)... just undoing the four bolts won't remove it...

<tuffty/>

So you're telling me where the transfer box shaft goes into the gearbox, that isn't an oil seal around it (on the gearbox)?

So you're telling me where the transfer box shaft goes into the gearbox, that isn't an oil seal around it (on the gearbox)?

Not exactly... there are 3 seals... I have blown up the pic and indicated them with arrows... hopefully that should clear up any confusion.. :)

IMG 9856

<tuffty/>

Ok thanks for that, I can see the ones you're talking about, I assumed this was the culprit (I've pointed it out) but from looking at your posts and knowledge I gather this can't be the problem? Thanks for your time.

IMG 9856

Last edited:
Is that just the driveshaft seal? And does it just pop out?

Is that just the driveshaft seal? And does it just pop out?

Not sure what you are asking....

The transfer box is held onto the gearbox by four large bolts and one 6mm headed allen bolt in the shaft of its drive flange... this 6mm bolt needs a special 6mm allen key tool thats long enough to fit down the shaft... see here
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/139552-removing-transfer-box.html

...the transfer box is also supported at the driveshaft end by a support bracket that will need to be removed as well...

Once the transfer box is removed (you will need to drain oil from the gearbox and the transfer box...) you will see 3 seals... thats about as complicated as that gets...

I believe there is a seal on the drive shaft flange too but I never touched this when mine was off so can't comment on that one...

<tuffty/>

I've got the gearbox and transfer box out, but there's oil all over each of them, so it's hard to tell what's leaking, so would it be wise just to change all 4 seals including the driveshaft seal?

I've got the gearbox and transfer box out, but there's oil all over each of them, so it's hard to tell what's leaking, so would it be wise just to change all 4 seals including the driveshaft seal?

Chances are this isn't the first clutch swap so the leak could be from a previous transfer box removal...

Are you sure its gearbox oil? the cam cover rubber gasket is renowned for leaking and this oil gets everywhere over the box etc as it drips down the back...

Personally I think the seals should be changed everytime... If you think it will leak or is leaking then change the seal... they aren't mega bucks especially compared to the agro of removing the box etc...

<tuffty/>

Yep mate it's definitely gearbox oil, only half a litre or so was in the box as well, and it's new oil in there, the engine oil is a lot older, so easy to tell. Think i'll just change the lot for peace of mind because it's hard to tell which one/s leaking. thanks for the help

Tuffty, I've been given a link for the parts, to choose what seals but unsure what ones. Would you mind giving me some help please? Are you able to pm me? thanks

Or if you have the part numbers from when you ordered them that would be good. cheers