JMB RetrofitsChris Nott

Thread: Windscreens

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

Windscreens

Tomorrow I shall be phoning my insurance company to sort out a new windscreen. My 3rd windscreen in only 4 and a half years of ownership!

Now my first screen was claimed by a stone chip and some pretty nasty cold weather that made it crack. This windscreen has had 2 small cracks appear from the very bottom under the scuttle panel which I think has come from poor fitting. It also has 2 big chips!

Anyone else gettin through windscreens at the rate I am? Any recommendations as to replacing rubber trims or the scuttle panel when the glass people fit a new screen?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

Alex

Status
    I haven't had to replace or repair mine in the 4 or so years I've had it....I say that and get in it tomorrow, shut the door and it shatters into a million pieces.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

moderately amusing

Status
    Insist on a genuine screen fred!

read many threads about autoglass and the likes screens being not upto scratch!

you can insist on a genuine screen, it is your consumer right! They will moan a bit maybe, just tell them straight mate

5th Gear

Status
    Your insurance company must HATE you

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Tomorrow I shall be phoning my insurance company to sort out a new windscreen. My 3rd windscreen in only 4 and a half years of ownership!

Now my first screen was claimed by a stone chip and some pretty nasty cold weather that made it crack. This windscreen has had 2 small cracks appear from the very bottom under the scuttle panel which I think has come from poor fitting. It also has 2 big chips!

Anyone else gettin through windscreens at the rate I am? Any recommendations as to replacing rubber trims or the scuttle panel when the glass people fit a new screen?
    My old s3 had 3 new windscreens in a year. The first one , original , cracked from a stone. The 1st new one cracked in the bottom corner about 3 months later, the 2nd 4 weeks later exactly the same and finally the 3rd was fitted by someone who knew what he was doing.

He told me that the glass can drop very slightly in the corner if its driven too early before the sealant has set.. He told me to leave it for at least 24 hours and then leave the tape on the top for as long as I could bear it and it was fine.. I think it's a fitting issue not a quality issue as he told me he'd seen it before

Status
    Thanks for that Dan. I know my last 2 screens were fitted by idiots as the first guy left a screwdriver under the scuttle panel and the 2nd guy didn't fit the panel back properly. I'm just lookin up getting a new rubber seal for the top of the screen where it meets the roof as mine is perishing badly then I'll call them in.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    Insist on a genuine screen fred!

read many threads about autoglass and the likes screens being not upto scratch!

you can insist on a genuine screen, it is your consumer right! They will moan a bit maybe, just tell them straight mate
    I thought they just fobbed you off by offering about £100 and you have to source it your self?

Mine on its way out and when it goes I'm going to demand a Gen a screen.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I'm just lookin up getting a new rubber seal for the top of the screen where it meets the roof as mine is perishing badly then I'll call them in.
    I got a new screen last year and told them i wanted the rubber strip at the top of the screen, and they fitted it with no questions..

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Thanks for that Dan. I know my last 2 screens were fitted by idiots as the first guy left a screwdriver under the scuttle panel and the 2nd guy didn't fit the panel back properly. I'm just lookin up getting a new rubber seal for the top of the screen where it meets the roof as mine is perishing badly then I'll call them in.
    They should replace that FOC.....I gave my glass company a call and they would use genuine parts and also replace the rubber.

Just call the glass company your insurance use directly and ask them ought right what they will be replacing and with what parts. Got nothing to lose at the end of the day apart from the cost of a phone call and a few minutes of your time.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

6th Gear

Status
    Insist on having a 'Pilkington windscreen", this is what Audi use apparently, I've just had mine done, the company originally fitted a different type and I wasn't happy with the fit so when they replaced it a week later they told me they'd use a "Pilkington" this time...

looks a lot better now...
    revo'd

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    My windscreen looks to be the original by the groves in the glass from where it has been worn down over the years by the blades. It's got loads of little surface chips but that's all.
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vex182 View Post
    My windscreen looks to be the original by the groves in the glass from where it has been worn down over the years by the blades. It's got loads of little surface chips but that's all.
    The screen on the car when I bought it was like this and I assume the original. Since I've owned the car I've not had much windscreen luck.

I'm booked in for next Friday for a brand new genuine screen. Just waiting on confirmation on the rubber strip!
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Mine's been fitted by some sort of ham fisted monkey. The seal on the bottom doesn't seem to fit too well on the sides but doesn't leak so I'm not too fussed. It just looks naff up close. I'm hoping for a stone chip or crack so I can get it replaced heh.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

6th Gear

Status
    I've just had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago, cracked at the passenger side bottom corner when i hit a pothole

By the looks of it all true super fast Audi S3's crack there windscreens on a regular basis
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Did 3 on my old S3 and so far on my second on the current S3

This one cracked passenger bottom corner after I had jacked up the car so must of been a bad fit.

The monkey fitting my new one was useless and didn't connect up the washer jets so had to take it all apart after they had gone and do it myself. Still not 100% happy as the screen is a bit weird and looks like it has a dent where the rearview mirror is.

When this one goes will defo make sure I get a genuine one.

Out of interest what tint you going for at the top of the screen?
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Status
    They offered me grey or green tint on the top. I obviously went for grey.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    I went through 3 windscreens from RAC autowindows in one year, they don't seem anywhere near as good as the Pilkinton ones.

They seem to chip easily and after just a few months were peppered in small dings making it hard to see driving into the sun

Will always insist on Pilkinton in future.

moderately amusing

Status
    They offered me grey or green tint on the top. I obviously went for grey.
    i wonder why you done that lol!