Thread: milltek exhaust

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Add S3_DAVE on Facebook Visit S3_DAVE's Instagram Channel

Cool milltek exhaust

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask and get peoples feedback/preference/opinions

I am looking to get a Milltek turbo back, sports cat, non res from AMD essex when i get my stage 1 remap on my 2001 Audi S3 AMK engine. But I'm just wondering what the droning is going to be like?

Anyone got any clips of how the sounds vary? I have had a look on youtube and most seem to be decatted...

any help would be appreciated

Dave

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    milteks and drone dont exist
    16Klappe and S3_DAVE like this.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    The only time I notice a drone is at 3k revs onthe motorway in 6th gear but that's more down to the exhaust manifold and downpipe then the non res miltek and decat.
    S3_DAVE likes this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status
    Unless things have improved with them over the past 5-6 years then they are badly fitting & don't give any performance gain.
    I went back to the standard one after several attempts to sort it out. Banging & clattering off the underside etc.

If you do a search, you'll find plenty of posts on here with the same issues & poor customer support...
    No drone btw.

Don't get me wrong, they were proven on the early S4's for sound & gains, & I wouldn't see past them for that particular car, but they just don't do anything for the S3.

They may help performance if you are going down the bigger turbo route & taking things further, but on a stage 1 its not worth it in my eyes.
    Last edited by S3quatt; 15th July 2013 at 17:32.
    ...... Waiting Paitently...

Status
    I've never had an issue with fitment. I fitted mine myself and it went on first time with no issues. The additional diameter in pipework and lack of OEM resonator will give performance gains. There will be less back pressure and also EGTs witty be lower as exhaust gases can escape quicker.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah fitted mine with no issues. I would say little to no performance gain. In fact the car felt as if it had lost a bit. For the amount of money it will cost there are better mods out there that will give you a better bang for your buck eg B5 tip
    B5 v1 Tip, Relentless v2 Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear.

Now just waiting on my B5 exhaust manifold as the Relentless is goosed.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    Yeah fitted mine with no issues. I would say little to no performance gain. In fact the car felt as if it had lost a bit. For the amount of money it will cost there are better mods out there that will give you a better bang for your buck eg B5 tip
    Oh yeah this is a bottom I the list mod and was infact my last hardware mod just to get te best from my K04 and crack the 300bhp barrier.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Sorry, by badly fitting, I never meant having difficulty fitting it to the car.
    It was more of the larger dia tubing having less clearance & therefore hitting on various places when going over bumps etc.

You found no issues with this?

Maybe I just had a bad one. Fri noon or Monday morning build lol!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3quatt View Post
    Sorry, by badly fitting, I never meant having difficulty fitting it to the car.
    It was more of the larger dia tubing having less clearance & therefore hitting on various places when going over bumps etc.

You found no issues with this?

Maybe I just had a bad one. Fri noon or Monday morning build lol!
    I have had clearance issues on speed bumps but it's only the fixing bracket at the decat an my car is only lowered 30mm which is nothing in this day and age. I used to own a Renault 5 GT turbo many years ago an that was inches from the ground so I guess I'm used to it
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    To the o.p by far the best 2 mods with most noticeable gains have been a B5 tip and Relentless V2 mani. Those along with a remap is what I would do first if I were to do it all again, although quality control with the manifolds are something else.
    I wish Bill @ B5 would develop his.
    B5 v1 Tip, Relentless v2 Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear.

2nd Gear

Status
    I know its not an audi but me and my mate fitted a full ss turbo back miltek exhaust system to his misses leon cupra which she bought at gti international from there stand. At first i was a bit concerned when they came back and said they had bought a new system from the miltek, ££££ however the guy did them a good price with discount for purchasing at gti. It turned up within one day of cleared payment and i must say it fitted perfectly, we didnt have to modify anything, simply bolt on. Everything lined up a treat. probably one of the best out of the box bolt on exhausts iv handled. Sounds quiet on tick over and subtle during low revs however when u plant you foot it sounds brilliant, a lot like my custom long-life system. I simply didnt by a miltek due to the price tag when compared to a custom fabricated exhaust.
    S3_DAVE likes this.
    2001 Audi S3 8L Ming Blue - LOST THE ROD LOTTERY BIG TIME (Rebuild underway)

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Buying and fitting a larger exhaust system and expecting the same clearance is a bit stupid, especially if you happen to have a lowered car.

I wasnt a miltek fan, purely because of price and tge fact its not a huge 'performance mod' in terms of gains.
    But, i got one very cheap, and brand new, when i fitted it (with a 3 inch downpipe and decat) i couldnt believe how quiet it was, i was underwhelmed at first. Then having had a mate take the car for a blast with me outside to listen, you realise how well made they are, and the little noise inside is totally contrasting to the noise they make outside. It is an impressive piece of hardware from that perspective.

As for performance gains, its virtually none existent on 'generic' tuned cars, start taking the ko4 to the limit and 300+hp tho and it will probably help with flow but most importantly egts. This was realised on tufftys car in the early days of his BT build when noticing egts getting very high when pushing his turbo, the miltek fixed the egt issue and allowed him to net more Hp. Granted he did have a 3 inch centre section made as opposed to the milteks 2.75, but still, prinicples remain the same and the restrictions were highlighted clearly.
    The limits i dont think are very known, although i think andrew is using one on his 500+hp car and wants to get rid. I think logically if the stock system is getting choaked at circa 350hp levels, and an increase in diameter of 10% fixes that, then maybe approaching 400hp is the limit for a 2.75inch miltek.

A big box like a miltek also wont be a fan of boost build launch and no lift shift. Which is why i might get rid of mine.
    S3_DAVE likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I have the full Milltek non res on my A3. There are slight droning between 1800-2000 RPM, if you keep it there. When it crosses over it sounds dreadful actually. Other than that, there is no droning to speak of. Gurgles alot, reminds me of the sounds VR6's make. Would recommend.

I have a few young mates (18-20) that are quite boyracerish, and according to them it could be louder. So that gives you an idea, that its not overly loud. Definetly too loud for your mum, but not too loud for any guy into cars. I have heard the non res, and quite honestly it sounded almost completely like the OEM.

Also, i had an issue with the exhaust knocking on the rear axel when i had people sitting in the back. Had to get a shop to modify that a little.

I had it dynoed before and after, and according to that dyno atleast, i went from 207 to 223 without a remap, but i guess you cant ever trust the dyno lotterey.
    Last edited by anderswhk; 16th July 2013 at 00:05.
    S3_DAVE likes this.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    At the moment I have a Jetex cone filter with a badger 5 TIP and heat shield, forge 008 DV.

The badger5 TIP definitely makes a massive difference.

3rd Gear

Status
    Ok so a good start then. Honestly I would not buy the exhaust as you will see no gain from it. I started off with the same parts you have and next was a revo stage 1. That really brought a smile to my face and then I bought a new downpipe and miltek system and to be honest the car felt as if it lost power.
    My suggestion would be to get it mapped as it is now. Will cost the same as the exhaust but will be way more fun.
    Revo Steve-W likes this.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by S3quatt View Post
    Unless things have improved with them over the past 5-6 years then they are badly fitting & don't give any performance gain.
    I went back to the standard one after several attempts to sort it out. Banging & clattering off the underside etc.

If you do a search, you'll find plenty of posts on here with the same issues & poor customer support...
    No drone btw.

Don't get me wrong, they were proven on the early S4's for sound & gains, & I wouldn't see past them for that particular car, but they just don't do anything for the S3.

They may help performance if you are going down the bigger turbo route & taking things further, but on a stage 1 its not worth it in my eyes.
    This^^^ is the total opposite to my experiences with Miltek.

My Miltek has done over 120k across two cars, had the tail pipes cut off and re-welded, had a 150mph smash at the ring and been bent in half by the rear beam then pulled straight. Fair to say that in its life it has been abused.

However is still sounds incredible, is very quiet at idle and sounds subtle and bassy on full chat with a slight raspy note which is very tasteful.

It doesn't make an offensive noise, it makes a pleasant burble. No droning with a non-res for my A3, so I would assume the same for an S3.

The restriction on the stock cat back is mostly after stage 2, so in terms of performance it is mainly a placebo effect for most owners.

When I required a new axle pipe after 5 years of fitment I phoned Miltek and they put me through to Awesome, who gave me a small discount and provided all necessary clamps from Miltek which were of great quality.

IMO the best "off the shelf" exhaust available, I have seen heard Milteks fitted to many VAGs, BMWs and Minis and they have all looked great and made a beautiful sound.

The quality and thoughtful design is so good, especially on Mk5 ones where they keep the exhaust tips adjustable for a perfect fitment. I really liked that.

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=2&rdm=0...?v=EUXosxUGpDs
    S3_DAVE likes this.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

6th Gear

Status
    Tips are still wonky....
    16Klappe likes this.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

1st Gear

Status
    Do the badger5 tip really make that much of a difference?

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Undeniable difference.

10bhp+ and bundles of extra torque. Flow = POWER.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by anderswhk View Post
    Enough tests have been done. I also did back to back rolling road test with the B5 TIP connected to the stock airbox (smoothed out with panel filter), and a jetex cone and made 7bhp and 11lb or extra torque.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Yes it does, in both sound and performance. Even going from an APR tip to the B5 was noticeable. I run the old skool v1 too.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Don't know about the exhaust as I would not change mine but the Badger5 TIP does make a difference yeh, mine felt a lot better between 4 and 6k.
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, N249 bypass, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by anderswhk View Post
    You should defiantly do it... I didn’t think it would be that noticeable but once you see how small and restrictive the standard pipe is you will understand why.

I brought the B5 V3 pipe as it was one complete unit and screws onto the turbo inlet easy install plus there are a few guides on here which will walk you through it. People have also said good things about the V1 and V2 versions I just though the complete one piece would be easy to work with .

Build quality is second to none but it is from Bill Badger5 so you wouldn’t get anything less

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I've got a 3" relentless DP and CAT, badger 5 custom 3" cat back with milltek back box and mines quiet!
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    This^^^ is the total opposite to my experiences with Miltek.

My Miltek has done over 120k across two cars, had the tail pipes cut off and re-welded, had a 150mph smash at the ring and been bent in half by the rear beam then pulled straight. Fair to say that in its life it has been abused.

However is still sounds incredible, is very quiet at idle and sounds subtle and bassy on full chat with a slight raspy note which is very tasteful.

It doesn't make an offensive noise, it makes a pleasant burble. No droning with a non-res for my A3, so I would assume the same for an S3.

The restriction on the stock cat back is mostly after stage 2, so in terms of performance it is mainly a placebo effect for most owners.

When I required a new axle pipe after 5 years of fitment I phoned Miltek and they put me through to Awesome, who gave me a small discount and provided all necessary clamps from Miltek which were of great quality.

IMO the best "off the shelf" exhaust available, I have seen heard Milteks fitted to many VAGs, BMWs and Minis and they have all looked great and made a beautiful sound.

The quality and thoughtful design is so good, especially on Mk5 ones where they keep the exhaust tips adjustable for a perfect fitment. I really liked that.

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=2&rdm=0...?v=EUXosxUGpDs
    Like I said, they were one of the best money could by for the S4, just my one was no good for the S3...
    There's no disputing the note from them either! Sounded sweet!
    16Klappe likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    i got a miltek catback on my a3 very cheap material low grade stainless not mandrel bent no performance gains as such doesent fit great along car either coming off for a custom system soon only got it as i got it cheap id avoid a mitek on any car i ever own think of mitek like religion just because alot of people believe in something doesnt make it right
    BURN RUBBER NOT YOUR SOUL !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegti2 View Post
    i got a miltek catback on my a3 very cheap material low grade stainless not mandrel bent no performance gains as such doesent fit great along car either coming off for a custom system soon only got it as i got it cheap id avoid a mitek on any car i ever own think of mitek like religion just because alot of people believe in something doesnt make it right
    It's a bit difficult to compare an off the Shelf miltek with a custom exhaust. Obviously a custom exhaust can be made from what you want, fit how you want it, and bend how you want it. It will also cost a lot more money too.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    custom exhausts are not really that much more expensive than a miltek i would understand if miltek were cheap but there not a 2.5" catback system for a golf a3 etc would range from 300-450 in most exhasust shops milteks are 400 ish i believe its just not feasable to me to buy one new

for £500 a cat back on S3 could be made at a number of places in 3"
    BURN RUBBER NOT YOUR SOUL !

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    My local exhaust shop makes up custom exhausts (powerspeed) and are definitely cheaper than a Milltek. Yes they do have the machine on site to bend the piping also.

They want around £350-£400 depending on the TIPs you want and if you want a silencer plus the back box after the cat. Last time I checked it was around £530 inc fitting for a Milltek.

I will still be opting for the Milltek though (because I'm such a brand whore lol)
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

6th Gear

Status
    I know where theres a brand new milltek back box and used resonated center pipe for a good price
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

1st Gear

Status
    Oh the badger5 tip is only for k04 and up, wont fit my A3, not to mention it says it only fits right hand drive models, wtf, why would that matter.