Standard

BODYWORK
Standard Audi Dolhpin Grey

INTERIOR
Standard Recaro Black Leather Interior, with Silver Alacantra
Factory Leather Steering Wheel
Factory Leather Gear Knob
Electric Everything
New South Performance Boost guage, mounted in the drivers side air vent.

STEREO COMPONENTS
Factory Bose Stereo System Includes: Front Splits, Rear Speakers, Twin Subwoofers, Amplifier & 6 Stack CD Player

Plans for Immediate Future:
Adding AUX input to the factory BOSE head unit, ordered, will be installed this weekend
TIP Pipe. ordered, will be installed this weekend
Pod filter with some sort of heat shield possible.
Move the boost guage to ontop of the steering column. Already have the mount, and I want my air vent! Possibly also a new boost guage in this process as the currently guage doesnt remeber the selected colour.
H&R springs
Blacked out badges front and rear (already have the 4 rings, need to try and source S3's badges and Quatto is possible), with blacked out front grille. Will be installed this weekend.

Long term plan:
18/19inch Wheels with better tires. This could possible happen sooner rather than later.
Turbo back exhaust
Stage 2+ tune (HPFP if I need it)
Whiteline Sway bars front and rear.
Possibly a FMIC, but i want to keep the fog lights and standard look, and not spend heaps on a Forge kit

Wanting around 200AWKW

Photos

Nice lookig car and a good spec.

why would you for got forged pistons with standard rods???

the rods will break before the pistons!!

The engine was done by the previous owner, and for him standard specs were enough.

But the engine builder has said even though its not as strong as he usually goes it is more than capable of handling a GTX28 which is bigger than I will go, if I upgrade the turbo at all.

I battle traffic in it everyday and the only Motorsport I would look at doing is motorkhanas so response is what I want

The engine was done by the previous owner, and for him standard specs were enough.

But the engine builder has said even though its not as strong as he usually goes it is more than capable of handling a GTX28 which is bigger than I will go, if I upgrade the turbo at all.

I battle traffic in it everyday and the only Motorsport I would look at doing is motorkhanas so response is what I want

Rods have been known to bend/snap with just a remap let alone a bigger turbo, hopefully yours won't be the case.

Oh well then! Plenty of cars driving around with stage 1 and 2 tunes on a standard engine!

For rods is there a difference between APY and BAM engine numbers? The original block was an APY and the new one is a BAM...

Yeah Seb has something against fitting rods for some reason. He was suggesting I ran a GT28 on stock rods too. He ran a new engine for 40k with a GT28 but I'd not want to risk it really.

Tidy car though. I like that color :)

Thanks guys :)

Its going to be looking and sounding a bit better after this weekend... been spending too much time on ebay at work :lo:

Strange that it's basically a standard car with a remap and a semi built engine; no suspicions that it's already thrown a rod...Hence the rebuild?

Looks a straight car mind you.

It was along a long story from the previous owner as to why a built short block was installed.

Basically there was a slight ticking noice under acceleration, for some reason he took the car to a different mechanic (and the dealership) for this problem instead of this regular workshop.

So trying to fix the noise they replaced the lower ball joints and strut top mounts. Then the entire suspension, then all the bushes throughout the car. then the clutch. then rebuilt the gearbox.

He then finally took it to his usual workshop who pulled the sump off and found a bearing from somewhere in the motor sitting ontop of the oil pump. That was allowing the crank to slide a fraction of a mm back and forth.

He has given me all the receipts for this work that note 'The customer complained of ticking noise from engine under acceleration" this is referenced on several receipts.

The new motor was built in Sydney by Seb (same guy doing Sam_'s work I think) and sent up, when installing the new motor all the hoses/belt/vac lines/anything else was replaced in the engine bay.

The old engine was 195,000kms old when it was removed from the car, and had been driven for around 3000kms from him first trying to get the noise fixed to the engine being removed.

I also have a mate that works at an Audi Dealership who looked up the service history for me before I brought it and could see the mechanics full reports about trying to find the noise, basically saying they couldnt find the problem but it didnt affect drivability.

And he had actually never driven on the 1.8bar tune, the person he brought the car off told him it was tuned but it was on the standard tune when he purchased it, and as he had no clue how to change it it stayed on there for the entire time he owned the car. When I followed APRs instructions on swapping tunes durring testing driving the car he was very surprised.

Seb's basically gets the parts together and sends it all to a machinist to actually build the engine. He's just doing mine in return for a website. He's not actually done any work on my car for me but I'll be there working on my car at his workshop at some stage. I do see him now and then though and chat all the time about stuff on the site. Euro Revolution - Euro Revolution (his mrs runs the parts side of it).

Small world though, I've just put two and two together. I was actually the guy that referred the previous owner (Les?) to Seb. I was unaware he was getting new pistons etc fitted to the block though.

Yeah it was Les's car. How do you know him?

Like I say, he posted a wanted thread for a short block on OzAudi or Vwwatercooled (can't remember which) and I replied to his thread, and spoke to him for a bit before referring him to Seb. It seemed like he took real good care of the car.

He sent me a few pics:

sector231061064.jpg

sector6594984.jpg

That looks suspiciously like an S line badge on that door trim :sadlike:

Yeah that was the picture on carsales.

He sold the car because him and his wife are moving overseas.

It's a DTM badge on the door. I have no idea what that stands for. If I can find one I want to replace it with a black S3 badge. But all I can find it s-line

Yeah that was the picture on carsales.

It's a DTM badge on the door. I have no idea what that stands for. If I can find one I want to replace it with a black S3 badge. But all I can find it s-line

Ohhh okay...

Well DTM = Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters

Pretty sure Audi brought out an A4 special edition labelled a DTM with a little body kit on and a few other extras to take in the fact they use an A4 in the DTM championship that runs in Germany.

Have a little google around as I think I've seen the badge on the net- but can't zoom in enough on the pic to see if it's exactly the same. Rarely see DTM A4s as they were produced in limited numbers- but why on earth the previous owner out it on an 8L S3 is a bit strange.

So today I installed the TIP and a big *** pod filter. Loving the sound! Before summer I will make a heat shield to box it off from the rest of the engine as much as possible

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374304588232405ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374304605278780

The cheap ebay TIP fitted much better than expected. Didn't have to trim a thing! The hardest part of installing it was getting the diverted valve out of the standard pipe.

So just some photos. Went for a cruise through some amazing mountain roads with some of the local Golf guys. Pretty much all modified Golf R's, was a couple GTis and 1 Scirroco. Great day

I44pIMG 1526Null zpsa0414a0cNull zpse92ee542

The drive did somewhat change my priorties of mods I want somewhat. I basically wanted more power before, now I think some better wheels and tires + some handling mods will be better mods. Power wise I was one of the quicker cars, but i was working hard through the twisty stuff.

So the hunt for some wheels is beginning! Also need new brakes pads I think, are super squeeky now lol

So I had an exhaust leak between the manifold and turbo that started making a fair bit of noise yesterday morning.

Last night i got in to fix it, the 2 bolts close to the block were super loose. I could spin them freely with my fingers.
Tighten those up and all good, except now I have a boost leak, it will be one of the piping joints I pulled apart. So going to pull it apart again this arvo and fix the boost leak haha

So on the weekend I did a few things
Heres a before pic:

I firstly removed the N249 system, this is the system the ecu uses to control the DV, so now the DV is plumbed directly to the intake manifold so is a bit more responsive. Basically simplfies the system and fair bit and removes a lot of clutter from on top of the tappet cover. Forgot to take a before pic with out the engine cover, but heres the after for that:

Then yesterday I pulled off the top intercooler pipe and painted it wrinkle finish black. Its nearly a perfect match for the finish on the plastics, expect for the 1 finger print we got on there while installing it. This mostly occured becuase we gave the paint 2 hours drying time before installing it instead of the 48hrs the can suggested haha
Would also like to do the Intake manifold but its going to be a huge pain to remove and re fit so lost some movetivation on that front yesterday

Still want to do a catch can install but couldnt find one I was happy with to buy from a shop so going to order a 42DD one from Carformance. The inside of the intercooled pipes had a little bit of oil inside, over 6000kms the oil had dropped from Full to Low on the dipstick. So would prefer to catch that before it goes through the intake.