Central locking problems...please help.

chromiehomie

Reaction score
I have a 1999 a3 1.8t with AGU engine and im having problems with central locking...
the key fob doesnt work at all (lock or unlock)
i can lock the car with the key but it will not unlock with the key.
the only way i can unlock it is by unlocking the boot, pulling out central locking pump, disconnecting all connectors, plugging them back in again then i can unlock the car with the key in the door.
i have to do this everytime i unlock the car. I have to lock it as i dont live in the safest area and the car is parked on the road.
any suggestions would be grateful :)

Interesting problem. My doors don't open with the fob, I have to put the key in the drivers door to open the driver door - and then put the ignition on first position to unlock the rest.

The drivers window has the common window clip problem so only opens a little way. And i believe the drivers window may have come off the runner. The rear windows work fine though as its a 5 door.

Starting with the most obvious, have you tried swapping the battery in the fob?
Also, do you hear the pump running when you try to open it?

Ive tried a new battery but nothing. i only hear the pump when unlocking after ive disconnected then reconnected the pump. this is the only time it makes a noise and unlocks. the pump does seem to be quite quiet but im used to mk2 and mk3 golfs which are quite noisy.lol

It sounds like the coding between the key & car might be out of synch.
Cant remember, but is there a small LED on the key to tell you if its working?

If you have both keys, it can be re-programmed, but as for not opening the car when using the key in the lock, that sounds as if theres a problem with the lock its self...

Ok thanks. The led on he key doesnt light and i only have the one key. Could i just change the lock in the door, without any hassle of changing keys etc?

Hmm. Sounds to me like the key fob isn't working, is there definitely an LED on it?
If you can confirm the key is the problem I'd say you need a new one unless it can be repaired. (seen the battery terminal break off the PCB).
The key on its own should physically open the drivers door regardless of the pump or remote working.
I suspect if it works in the boot but not the door then there might be a leaver off or something broken in the lock. Either that or the lock has been replaced in the past...

I apologise...there is no led on the key fob. I think it may be something to do with the lock. Seems strange as it always locks but not unlock..

Have u got an aftermarket stereo fitted , if so disconnect the red live wire from the stereo circuit an see if it works , mi e works if i do that but I haven't found a fix for it yet

May need need a new fob, the unlock button may be broke, id buy a used fob put your key part on to the fob itself then try and adapt it using vcds. Worked for me

No i have the standard concert stereo fitted. If i needed a new fob, then surely the key would unlock the door regardless?