Haldex oil everywhere...

S3 zombie

Reaction score
Hi all..
changed the haldex oil for first time last weekend,pretty straight forward job apart from the mashed up drain plug and the earth strap that broke whilst i was "checking" to see if it were ok...

anyhow,with the plug removed only approx 50ml of oil drained out,not the 250 i was expecting but then nothing really surprises me with these cars anymore..so i refilled,fitted new plug and all seemed well..

until this morning when i noticed there was oil everywhere..its blown through the breather pipe on top of the casing and filled the chassis rail with oil where it terminates!

has anyone seen this before?

any help greatfully recieved as always ~phil~

If they leak its normally due to the thread being stripped on the plug, filter not screwed in right or its leaking from the haldex controller due to somebody swapping the controller and not fitting a new gasket/seal or fitting it correctly... maybe why it had very little oil in the first place...

<tuffty/>

Think i may have fixed it tuffty..

there was no oil anywhere around the haldex,drain plug and controller were both dry all the oil was around the breather hose which is miles away..im thinking the breather was blocked,pressure built in the haldex and unblocked the breather by pushing the oil out..maybe?

..drained the oil again today because i had no idea how much was left in and there was around 150ml so some still remained,then removed and cleaned the breather (it also had a bit of a kink in it) then refilled...

driven 100 mile today with MUCH haldex action and all seems dry...