Upgrading to wideband... Add vvt or not?

JimS3

Reaction score
I am collecting together the parts needed to upgrade my APY to wideband ready for a larger turbo.

The new BAM ECU has vvt, is it best to have this coded out, or is it worth adding a vvt unit into the new head I am building up?

Ok, will hunt down a vvt tensioner unit then. Are these available aftermarket?
Can't seem to find them on euro, gsf etc

Hell yes, and OEM only, do not buy the cheap copies, they are rubbish. Most sellers of the chaep ones one warrent them either despite what they say just FYI

I am collecting together the parts needed to upgrade my APY to wideband ready for a larger turbo.

The new BAM ECU has vvt, is it best to have this coded out, or is it worth adding a vvt unit into the new head I am building up?

Keep VVT, you would also do well to keep the EGT probe too... the EGT probe 'can' be coded out but VAG fuelling strategies for the wideband K04 use the EGT probe as part of the protection system... flipside of course is that its not a cheap sensor...

As Byzan has said, do NOT buy the cheap 100 or so quid tensioners from ebay... either stump up for a genuine one (not cheap) or go for a GSF one... I am using the GSF one myself and so far all is good... the cheap 100 quid one I bought a while back was rubbish and was forever throwing a setpoint not reached fault... I also bought what I though was a genuine one from ebay that turned out to be a copy (including a genuine looking vag box)

I have documented this in my build thread...

If going wideband then do it properly IMO...

<tuffty/>

Keep VVT, you would also do well to keep the EGT probe too... the EGT probe 'can' be coded out but VAG fuelling strategies for the wideband K04 use the EGT probe as part of the protection system... flipside of course is that its not a cheap sensor...

As Byzan has said, do NOT buy the cheap 100 or so quid tensioners from ebay... either stump up for a genuine one (not cheap) or go for a GSF one... I am using the GSF one myself and so far all is good... the cheap 100 quid one I bought a while back was rubbish and was forever throwing a setpoint not reached fault... I also bought what I though was a genuine one from ebay that turned out to be a copy (including a genuine looking vag box)

I have documented this in my build thread...

If going wideband then do it properly IMO...

<tuffty/>

many thanks for the info, will try and get the full wideband setup.

What about a used tensioner from a low milage head?

Can I ask how much you paid for your GSF tensioner?

many thanks for the info, will try and get the full wideband setup.

What about a used tensioner from a low milage head?

Can I ask how much you paid for your GSF tensioner?

Used ones tend to be worn... I had one that looked fine but rattled like a mofo..

TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER 023VG0140

<tuffty/>

Have just picked up a used one from a low mileage 2004 cupra R for only £50.

Will see how it goes and if it rattles too much I will get a GSF one.

Where are you guys putting the EGT sensor? Believe the APY k04 doesn't have space for it? Planning on going hybrid.