Volks AutosChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Build threads

2nd Gear

Status

Build threads

Probually be slated for this one, why not have a separate section for build threads? You log on during the day and more of the updates are for build threads. Would be nice to see them separated from the , need help, new part , look how clean, is it a leak etc threads.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    What like a sort of like The Project Room

4th Gear

Status
    There is a build thread section, though it is pretty baron in there.

To be honest without the build threads I think most people would go insane from the constant,
    How much to go BT?
    I want a bazillion horsepower but i only have 50p threads
    Can I get 300hp with my K03
    and numerous other threads that have been covered umpteen times yet the topic starter neglects to use the search function or the FAQs/Stickys
    AJC, Jason.s and Tim_Attard like this.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I do plan to bung the main build threads (ones with useful documented info on BT and other major builds) together and stick it in the FAQ sticky purely as an easy way to find reference material for all the n00b's that ask the same questions over and over again...

However, as voorhees has suggested we have a project room section where they are 'supposed' to go...

There is no point adding a section within 8L if thats what you were after

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
    Probually be slated for this one, why not have a separate section for build threads? You log on during the day and more of the updates are for build threads. Would be nice to see them separated from the , need help, new part , look how clean, is it a leak etc threads.
    Are you saying build threads are boring

...It's Never Finished...

Status
    Without the build threads it would be loads of threads off the bellends that can never be bothered to actually look for anything..... Going over the same old pish as what happens now... But without the build threads what all the people who aren't really interested in looking at the pish but want to read the build threads.... Kapeesh....

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    builds should go in the Project room. I agree.

Apart from mine

And tufftys.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Status
    and staceys

and sams

and karls

and maybe even jardos

and phills

Have I missed anyone?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
    Westicles....lol

Status
    Oh lord. How can I forget fred. I've got pictures of fred on my bedroom wall, I could never forget him!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Oh lord. How can I forget fred. I've got pictures of fred on my bedroom wall, I could never forget him!
    Yes how could you....... But you did.... Shame on you....

5th Gear

Status
    maybe have a "section" in here for all the rubbish that gets asked over and over. Then whenever one of those topic pop up it can get moved to that section.

You could even call it.......ummmm.............errrrr..........
    TRASH

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    What like a sort of like The Project Room
    yeah something like that, what do you think? Could we do something like that?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

6th Gear

Status
    Welly is dead, buried and forgotten?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

come fly with me

Status
    and staceys

and sams

and karls

and maybe even jardos

and phills

Have I missed anyone?
    Me
    <Jay A3 build thread>

241bhp K03s - R Tech

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    And my very simple but handy thread
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Scn have a 'trash' i started a thread that went in there lol

Vortex is good for build threads, theyre in the stickies each one with a very brief spec with the link like:

Gt95
    8L stroker
    crystal meth injection
    wheels made of platinum
    rear wheel steer conversion
    *link*

I personally think they should ALL be moved to the project room, and in the relevant model sections a build list in the stickies.
    Jason.s likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    What we really need is an index for these build threads. Trying to find something you read months ago in tuffys S3 or prawns A3 bible is very painful if you can't remember the exact words to search for.
    Any volunteers ?

Status
    Ok so I'd had a few beers and forgot a load of people. Sorry :'(

the problem with many of or threads now, is that they cannot realistically be read from start to finish, you have to have been following them long term to have any idea of what's going on!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    How about my build thread?

Oh sorry, I don't have one, and the uprated parts are still in their boxes!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Neutral

Status
    I've completely missed that section!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    The problem with build threads is peoples interpretation of 'build'... for the most part fitting mud flaps and a 007p isn't a build thread but in the owners eyes it is... its their pride and joy and no one will tell them different... while this is ok its not really worthy of being listed in a 'build thread index'... this is what the search function is for... and before you slate it I have already documented ways to search using google as well as ASN's search... tagging posts with keywords help too...

When I started my 'build' thread I only really intended to use it to show how much work is involved in doing a BT conversion and also the issues you need to deal with... plus its a handy reference for me too..

When members ask questions its fairly plausible I have already done this and can refer them to the relevant posts... there are times when I remember stuff being done in other peoples threads too and generally use the search to find the user then their started threads... bit trickier I guess if you are a n00b and don't know anyone but guess that just shows how long I have been loitering around on here lol

As I have said before on similar threads, there is no point in sticking loads of build threads or any other type of thread for that matter else the first two or three pages of the section will be just sticky threads and then it will be just become unwieldy...

I will look to place links to notable builds initially and see where we go from there...

When you consider most of the questions that get asked relating to the level of modification that a build thread warrants are realistically covered by a very few threads then I don't see it being a massive section...

It will no doubt upset a few people but if you want more press on your build thread then update it more often and it will apear at the top again...

I use mine now more for reference than anything else and this is how I see a 'build' thread sticky in this section working...

Member asks the normal ridiculous question of 'whats needed to fit a GT35 to my AGU', instead of berating the member you can then say have a read up on the notable builds, research a bit then ask questions based on having putting a bit of effort in rather than expecting all of use to do it for you...

I think this is where the stickies can help...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    Basically what we were saying at inters. Too many "build threads" where people have just washed the cars, fitted an s2000 filter, 007p and stuck on an ASN sticker or something stupid.

Audizine have a build section in each model section which works well. Also subforums within the model section. Rest of the section is just general stuff.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Neutral

Status
    Bit harsh I think on the guys like me that are only just starting out. The basics are things like 007P's air filters and TIPs you go from there upwards. I still see that as a build thread and maybe someone that doesn't have the big bucks for big turbos etc can't take information and inspiration from them.

I think it's a but elitist saying that a few little modifications doesn't count. I use other forums for example I have 9000 post over on uk-mkivs I used my build thread there and received valuble information from others on what I was doing and how to go about it. With out that thread I think my golf would have ended up costing me loads of wasted time and overpriced parts.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    The problem is muppets who join up with a very lightly "modified " car, expect us to all fall to our knees with their build thread and them never update their thread or do anything noteworthy with them.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

5th Gear

Status
    Why not have the project room at the top of the board instead of right down the bottom where nobody ever goes?

Then have separate board for 8L 8P etc

its this and the new style of classifieds which simply irritates me to the point where i never use it

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I will discuss having a sub forum in 8L as a trial with admin...

I will agree, the project room doesn't get a look in really... most in 8L tend to stick in 8L (I know I do) so having a subforum may work...

Will have a think over the next few days...

<tuffty/>
    Jason.s and Sandra like this.

Status
    There are other boards?

honestly, I know they're there, but I never visit any of them, they're full of different people, ad are like a totally different forum all together they're so far removed from 8L
    Sandra likes this.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    i go in 8p and B5 sections regularly.

Instead of the completely separate 'projects' section, a projects sub-forum would work a lot better in each model section, I like that idea.

For example the other day I thought id have a nosey at byzans thread, could I find it, could I balls, eventually I did, but with a subforum titled 'B5 BUILDS' and '8L BUILDS' it would make life very easy.

1st Gear

Status
    The problem is with The Project Room, is that there's nothing in there but tumble weed and people talking to themselves. I don't see the problem personally, I just come straight to the 8L section and have a browse, as it applies to me and interests me.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The problem as i see it is, that everybody putting a sticker on seems to start a build thread, who decides what's worthy?

I see no problem with moving the bigger buillds to projects maybe but referencing them from one sticky thread. \otherwise it's a thread overload imho

5th Gear

Status
    edition38 works pretty well, ever had a browse on there?

bute yea, subforums for build threads in the actual sections would work best. as long as people dont just title their build thread as "my build thread" theres millions of "my build threads" on here. use your username in your build thread and it'd be good.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    I say, once Tuffty deems your project worthy it gets placed in the "Thread of Fame" and is a featured build. Until then; try harder.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Or have a minimum post count in the thread
    16Klappe likes this.

silver sleeper

Status
    i think you lot need to chill out of course noobs like me want to start build threads with a few bolt ons, we are proud of our pathetic achievements!-) and would also probably like to get to know some people here rather than read a thread like this and feel un wanted, theres some echos of lesser forums here dont lose respect for the noobs some of us a pretty cool.
    i also think it actually helps dilute all the repeat 'ive got this problem' threads... maybe all you who get annoyed theres not stuff you wanna read in the forum should try getting out a bit lol!-)
    s3dave and stuart_tate41 like this.
    1999 apy s3, n249 delete, sai and n112 delete. bbs lm reps, s2000 filter, relentless v3 manifold, relentless downpipe and sports cat, scorpion cat back system, badger 5 v3 tip, bam rocker cover, push in coilpacks, toyosports fmic, amd remapped to 280.3 bhp and 263.9 lb/ft.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    Or have a minimum post count in the thread
    I must qualify then!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    The problem is muppets who join up with a very lightly "modified " car, expect us to all fall to our knees with their build thread and them never update their thread or do anything noteworthy with them.
    Jardo,"muppets" really ? If I am on a 100 quid a week then a DV upgrade and a good polish of my pride and joy is worthy of posting a thread that said I think build threads maybe need to meet a certain criteria as the very name is diluted a lot by the amount being posted.

I believe a sub forum is going to work as much as the stickies or the project room Paul imho.

Classifieds are crap btw avoid like the plague

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    ....I believe a sub forum is going to work as much as the stickies or the project room Paul imho....
    Its a fair point Jase... having a load of specific threads in a subsection doesn't exempt anyone from using search and god forbid there be any stickies in it too lol....

happy to give it a go though... if it doesn't work then I'll wang all the threads back in the main 8L section and laugh heartily at the next thread like this one that gets posted :P

<tuffty/>

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    All build threads have their place, and their target audience, regardless of money spent or how far theyve gone. As long as a user has maintained updates in the one thread its a 'build' or 'progress' thread.

This is why adopting vwvortex idea is a good one, brief overview of its content with a link, people can quickly see whats in it, click the link to find out more.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    You could add mine but I'm crap at updating my thread as I'm to busy working
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust, Blue Haldex controller
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast