Build threads

Buzzer

Reaction score
Probually be slated for this one, why not have a separate section for build threads? You log on during the day and more of the updates are for build threads. Would be nice to see them separated from the , need help, new part , look how clean, is it a leak etc threads.

There is a build thread section, though it is pretty baron in there.

To be honest without the build threads I think most people would go insane from the constant,
How much to go BT?
I want a bazillion horsepower but i only have 50p threads
Can I get 300hp with my K03
and numerous other threads that have been covered umpteen times yet the topic starter neglects to use the search function or the FAQs/Stickys

Reactions: AJC, Tim_Attard and Jason.s
I do plan to bung the main build threads (ones with useful documented info on BT and other major builds) together and stick it in the FAQ sticky purely as an easy way to find reference material for all the n00b's that ask the same questions over and over again...

However, as voorhees has suggested we have a project room section where they are 'supposed' to go...

There is no point adding a section within 8L if thats what you were after :)

<tuffty/>

Probually be slated for this one, why not have a separate section for build threads? You log on during the day and more of the updates are for build threads. Would be nice to see them separated from the , need help, new part , look how clean, is it a leak etc threads.

Are you saying build threads are boring :crying:

Without the build threads it would be loads of threads off the bellends that can never be bothered to actually look for anything..... Going over the same old pish as what happens now... But without the build threads what all the people who aren't really interested in looking at the pish but want to read the build threads.... Kapeesh....:whistle2:

and staceys

and sams

and karls

and maybe even jardos

and phills

Have I missed anyone?

Reactions: phil miller, CMcKenzie and 16Klappe
Oh lord. How can I forget fred. I've got pictures of fred on my bedroom wall, I could never forget him!

maybe have a "section" in here for all the rubbish that gets asked over and over. Then whenever one of those topic pop up it can get moved to that section.

You could even call it.......ummmm.............errrrr.......... :think:
TRASH :blahblah1:

Reactions: slowcoach3
Scn have a 'trash' i started a thread that went in there lol

Vortex is good for build threads, theyre in the stickies each one with a very brief spec with the link like:

Gt95
8L stroker
crystal meth injection
wheels made of platinum
rear wheel steer conversion
*link*

I personally think they should ALL be moved to the project room, and in the relevant model sections a build list in the stickies.

Reactions: Jason.s
What we really need is an index for these build threads. Trying to find something you read months ago in tuffys S3 or prawns A3 bible is very painful if you can't remember the exact words to search for.
Any volunteers ? :)

Ok so I'd had a few beers and forgot a load of people. Sorry :'(

the problem with many of or threads now, is that they cannot realistically be read from start to finish, you have to have been following them long term to have any idea of what's going on!

The problem with build threads is peoples interpretation of 'build'... for the most part fitting mud flaps and a 007p isn't a build thread but in the owners eyes it is... its their pride and joy and no one will tell them different... while this is ok its not really worthy of being listed in a 'build thread index'... this is what the search function is for... and before you slate it I have already documented ways to search using google as well as ASN's search... tagging posts with keywords help too...

When I started my 'build' thread I only really intended to use it to show how much work is involved in doing a BT conversion and also the issues you need to deal with... plus its a handy reference for me too..

When members ask questions its fairly plausible I have already done this and can refer them to the relevant posts... there are times when I remember stuff being done in other peoples threads too and generally use the search to find the user then their started threads... bit trickier I guess if you are a n00b and don't know anyone but guess that just shows how long I have been loitering around on here lol

As I have said before on similar threads, there is no point in sticking loads of build threads or any other type of thread for that matter else the first two or three pages of the section will be just sticky threads and then it will be just become unwieldy...

I will look to place links to notable builds initially and see where we go from there...

When you consider most of the questions that get asked relating to the level of modification that a build thread warrants are realistically covered by a very few threads then I don't see it being a massive section...

It will no doubt upset a few people but if you want more press on your build thread then update it more often and it will apear at the top again...

I use mine now more for reference than anything else and this is how I see a 'build' thread sticky in this section working...

Member asks the normal ridiculous question of 'whats needed to fit a GT35 to my AGU', instead of berating the member you can then say have a read up on the notable builds, research a bit then ask questions based on having putting a bit of effort in rather than expecting all of use to do it for you...

I think this is where the stickies can help...

<tuffty/>

Basically what we were saying at inters. Too many "build threads" where people have just washed the cars, fitted an s2000 filter, 007p and stuck on an ASN sticker or something stupid.

Audizine have a build section in each model section which works well. Also subforums within the model section. Rest of the section is just general stuff.

Bit harsh I think on the guys like me that are only just starting out. The basics are things like 007P's air filters and TIPs you go from there upwards. I still see that as a build thread and maybe someone that doesn't have the big bucks for big turbos etc can't take information and inspiration from them.

I think it's a but elitist saying that a few little modifications doesn't count. I use other forums for example I have 9000 post over on uk-mkivs I used my build thread there and received valuble information from others on what I was doing and how to go about it. With out that thread I think my golf would have ended up costing me loads of wasted time and overpriced parts.

The problem is muppets who join up with a very lightly "modified " car, expect us to all fall to our knees with their build thread and them never update their thread or do anything noteworthy with them.

Why not have the project room at the top of the board instead of right down the bottom where nobody ever goes?

Then have separate board for 8L 8P etc

its this and the new style of classifieds which simply irritates me to the point where i never use it

I will discuss having a sub forum in 8L as a trial with admin...

I will agree, the project room doesn't get a look in really... most in 8L tend to stick in 8L (I know I do) so having a subforum may work...

Will have a think over the next few days...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Jason.s and Sandra
There are other boards?

honestly, I know they're there, but I never visit any of them, they're full of different people, ad are like a totally different forum all together they're so far removed from 8L

Reactions: Sandra
i go in 8p and B5 sections regularly.

Instead of the completely separate 'projects' section, a projects sub-forum would work a lot better in each model section, I like that idea.

For example the other day I thought id have a nosey at byzans thread, could I find it, could I balls, eventually I did, but with a subforum titled 'B5 BUILDS' and '8L BUILDS' it would make life very easy.

The problem is with The Project Room, is that there's nothing in there but tumble weed and people talking to themselves. I don't see the problem personally, I just come straight to the 8L section and have a browse, as it applies to me and interests me.

The problem as i see it is, that everybody putting a sticker on seems to start a build thread, who decides what's worthy?

I see no problem with moving the bigger buillds to projects maybe but referencing them from one sticky thread. \otherwise it's a thread overload imho

edition38 works pretty well, ever had a browse on there?

bute yea, subforums for build threads in the actual sections would work best. as long as people dont just title their build thread as "my build thread" theres millions of "my build threads" on here. use your username in your build thread and it'd be good.

I say, once Tuffty deems your project worthy it gets placed in the "Thread of Fame" and is a featured build. Until then; try harder.

i think you lot need to chill out of course noobs like me want to start build threads with a few bolt ons, we are proud of our pathetic achievements!-) and would also probably like to get to know some people here rather than read a thread like this and feel un wanted, theres some echos of lesser forums here dont lose respect for the noobs some of us a pretty cool.
i also think it actually helps dilute all the repeat 'ive got this problem' threads... maybe all you who get annoyed theres not stuff you wanna read in the forum should try getting out a bit lol!-)

Reactions: s3dave and stuart_tate41
The problem is muppets who join up with a very lightly "modified " car, expect us to all fall to our knees with their build thread and them never update their thread or do anything noteworthy with them.
Jardo,"muppets" really ? If I am on a 100 quid a week then a DV upgrade and a good polish of my pride and joy is worthy of posting a thread that said I think build threads maybe need to meet a certain criteria as the very name is diluted a lot by the amount being posted.

I believe a sub forum is going to work as much as the stickies or the project room Paul imho.

Classifieds are crap btw avoid like the plague

....I believe a sub forum is going to work as much as the stickies or the project room Paul imho....

Its a fair point Jase... having a load of specific threads in a subsection doesn't exempt anyone from using search and god forbid there be any stickies in it too lol....

happy to give it a go though... if it doesn't work then I'll wang all the threads back in the main 8L section and laugh heartily at the next thread like this one that gets posted :p

<tuffty/>

All build threads have their place, and their target audience, regardless of money spent or how far theyve gone. As long as a user has maintained updates in the one thread its a 'build' or 'progress' thread.

This is why adopting vwvortex idea is a good one, brief overview of its content with a link, people can quickly see whats in it, click the link to find out more.