replacing tdi engine

rob0904

Reaction score
Hi, might have a chance to get an a3 with a seized engine. Does anyone know of a good guide knocking around on the web. Is there going to be any issues with replacing the engine or will it be plug band play as such?

Any help would be great

Rob

I doubt there is a 'guide' as such as engine swaps tend to fall outside the scope of a typical 'How To'... maybe worth grabbing a Haynes manual if you are particularly stuck but a like for like engine swap is relatively straightforward tbh...

Never done a derv myself of course but can't imagine its much different to any other engine swap... if the engine is the same code then should be a case of the reverse of removing the old engine...

<tuffty/>

That's what I thought and hoped. some dervs have coded pumps and injectors I think which worried me more than the actual swap.

Rob

That's what I thought and hoped. some dervs have coded pumps and injectors I think which worried me more than the actual swap.

Rob

Hummm... dunno tbh... like I said never done a derv so couldn't confirm/deny that...

<tuffty/>

Hi, still negotiating a price for the car. Its scrap really well to the owner that is, but seem to think it's still worth a lot.

Been pricing up another engine which aren't cheap even for a bare one.

Pretty good around a car, anyone have a rough time it would take to get the engine out?

Dont want it sat for weeks in bits, as they misses would kill me haha

Rob

If you can operate spanners competently, and have a crane, you'll have the engine out, and the replacement back in, in a weekend.

Yeah I've done a vr conversion into a 1.3 mk2 so not to bad with the tools.

Just a bit more involved with a tdi.

Fingers crossed I can get a deal sorted soon.

Rob

If its the same engine, engine code would help at this point, then should be plug and play.
If a different engine and ecu then youll need to reprogram the ecu or defeat the immobiliser.

I put a BPX in place of my ASZ engine no problems at all.

Rob

Nope, no coded pumps or injectors.

Removing / refitting the TDI lump is no worse than the 1.8T. If anything it's prob a little easier.