door micro switch

downhilldave77

Reaction score
hi all I has anyone on here had there door lock micro switches replaced by a garage my drivers side is playing up display saying door open when its not its getting annoying now anyway how much did you pay I have read its a fiddly job hopefully not a stealers job thanks 2002 s3

You dont need to get it replaced, do a search on here, myself and a number of others were able to fix it with some WD40 and a wire coat hanger.

ok thanks I will a have a search

My mate had the same problem with his TT but it wasn't working at all so the car wouldn't know when the door was open and it would lock itself after 30 secs unless he put the key in the ignition.

I took his lock a part and basically the switch button is hard plastic and it is pushed by a softer plastic on the lock mechanism which eventually wears away and doesn't press the switch. All I did was remove the switch, elongate the hole it sits in so it would press the switch then glue it in place and put it all back together. I did that probably nearly a year ago now and it's still working fine.

hi all I has anyone on here had there door lock micro switches replaced by a garage my drivers side is playing up display saying door open when its not its getting annoying now anyway how much did you pay I have read its a fiddly job hopefully not a stealers job thanks 2002 s3

The door closure sensor is part of the door lock mechanism so if you do need to replace it you have to replace the whole lock mechanism. The fixes suggested previously do work... for a time. The time they'll work for cannot be quantified. I didn't have any success with WD-40 or GT-85. If you open the door and look into the mechanism you will just about see (a torch helps) a small 'pin'. By using a small allen key I was able to hook the pin and bring it forward slightly. If you have your ignition on when attempting this fix you will both hear the sensor actuating and the door open signal on the dashboard will extinguish. This worked for me for a while but eventually it failed again. I'm in Wigan so point in recommending where I had my lock mechanism replaced but if it helps it was an independent garage and the total cost for the new, genuine part including fitting and vat was just shy of £100.

You will also see when youa re hitting the switch as the light at the bottom of the door will go on and off.