Want to buy a 2000 1.6 A3, any tips or recommendations?

BajaBen

Reaction score
Hello, forum dwellers, I would like to ask a few questions here. I have recently sold my almost 30 year old baby (87 1.6 TD golf), and want to buy a new car for myself. I was looking at a few of these 1.6 8v petrol Audi A3s, and I have decided to get one of them.

My question to you is, is this a good engine? I'm not talking about the power output, as 100 horsepower is just enough for me, I'm asking if the engine is designed well. Does it have any flaws and does it need more maintenance than usual? Any tips, recommendations and critiques with explanations are welcome. I want to get myself a new car and I'd rather not spend it on this and have it turn out to be a very bad idea.

Once again:
Is this a good engine and, if you have one or used to have one, what is your overall feeling about it?

Thank you, in advance,
BajaBen.

Interesting change from a mk2 TD Golf to a 1.6 petrol mate.

The 1.6 is ok at best to be honest, it's not very economical, and you will be paying the higher roadtax bracket, as it's over 1500cc. Why not go for a 1.9 TDI, which I would consider a modern equivalent of the Golf.

The 1.9 TDI is an option, yes. I may end up getting that one, as well, but the 1.6 is a bit cheaper and fits into my budget a bit better, so if I need to do any repairs or maintenance after I get the car, I'll be able to with no problems. What's it's economy like? You say it's not very economical, and I believe that, but how much more does it drink on average than the TDI?

The 1.9 TDI is an option, yes. I may end up getting that one, as well, but the 1.6 is a bit cheaper and fits into my budget a bit better, so if I need to do any repairs or maintenance after I get the car, I'll be able to with no problems. What's it's economy like? You say it's not very economical, and I believe that, but how much more does it drink on average than the TDI?

To be honest Ben, depending on usage, I'm guessing the 1.6 is a 30mpg car, probs nearer 40 on the long run, but with a TDI, it's a 40mpg+ all day long, stretching to 50s on the motorway. Plus the 1.9 VAG TD unit is bombproof, I have a Passat TDI 1.9 PD with 203k miles on it still running original turbo, clutch and gearbox. Also, 2000 is when the facelift took place, so look for one piece headlamps, and clear inserts in the rear lights for facelift models. Prefacelift models have less power(non PD), but are slightly more economical.

The one I'm looking to get definitely has the clear inserts in the rear lights. I will check if it has the one piece headlamps, but I am sure it does. I will look at some of the TDIs, as well. Thank you for your help, jojo! 30 mpg is not all that bad, but of course, I'd prefer more. I will think about this for a bit more, and hopefully, make the right decision!

EDIT: One more question, what's the difference between the Ambiente and Attraction trim levels?

Last edited:
The one I'm looking to get definitely has the clear inserts in the rear lights. I will check if it has the one piece headlamps, but I am sure it does. I will look at some of the TDIs, as well. Thank you for your help, jojo! 30 mpg is not all that bad, but of course, I'd prefer more. I will think about this for a bit more, and hopefully, make the right decision!

EDIT: One more question, what's the difference between the Ambiente and Attraction trim levels?

Cool, let us know how you get on, and posts some pics up if you do purchase it. Forgot to add, if you only do short journeys, then of course there's a place for the 1.6. The TDI takes a bit longer to warm up.

I'll definitely post some pics if I end up getting this one. :) Of course there are other cars in question, but I like the A3 the most. As for the TDIs, sadly they seem to be out of my budget, for the most part.