Indicator problems

pflowers

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive done a search can't find anything about it so am hoping someone may be able to help.

I noticed the other day the indicactors seemed to be not flashing at a regular time the, they would seem to miss a beat every now and again. Anyway yesterday they would turn on for a couple of flashes then turn off, if you flicked the switch off and back on again they would do the same again although maybe flashing slightly longer. The right is worse than the left but they both do it.

Sometimes they work normally but most of the time they don't. The hazzards by the way function perfectly all the time.

Any help would be appreciated as you can imagine its quite dangerous !

Thanks

get back in your box BMW boy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

It could be the relay that controls the flashing is ******** - shouldn't be too expensive to get the part and it's only a few screws to remove the panel under the steering wheel to get to I believe.

It happened on my A3 and as said it was the indicator flasher unit which on my model (1998) is the hazzard warning switch too. Its not to dear but you do have to take the centre console apart to get it out.

Definately sounds like the relay in the hazard switch as i had exactly the same problem. Got a new switch from audi for £28. Changing it wasnt hard either, half hour tops, had to take the radio out to get access to the back of the switch as its held in with two spring clips

Thanks guys for all the help, but how come the hazard switch is causing the problem as the hazards work fine. Does the relay control the left and right as well ?

Their is two seperate relays inside the switch, one controls the indicators and the other controls the hazards. Like yours when mine went the hazards worked fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Their is two seperate relays inside the switch, one controls the indicators and the other controls the hazards. Like yours when mine went the hazards worked fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I shall get down the stealers and order one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have you got the keys to get the radio out? If not ask the dealer to remove it for you when you get switch, as you will need it out to replace the switch.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you got the keys to get the radio out? If not ask the dealer to remove it for you when you get switch, as you will need it out to replace the switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't, I will ask them, thanks for the advice !

Just an update, part collected from dealers today - £32 inc vat. They kindly removed the radio for me - Thanks Sinclair Audi Swansea -
and with a bit of fiddling in went the new switch ! They now work perfectly thanks for the help !

[ QUOTE ]
Definately sounds like the relay in the hazard switch as i had exactly the same problem. Got a new switch from audi for £28. Changing it wasnt hard either, half hour tops, had to take the radio out to get access to the back of the switch as its held in with two spring clips

[/ QUOTE ]

Had this exact same problem, Audi roadside assist came out, took off fascia plate around the Hazard button, slide out old relay (part of the hazard button) and slipped new one in, click fascia plate back on, took the guy less than 60seconds, lol. (2003 model) Just for the record, hehe.