Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

S3 Coilover adivice street/track

Hey guys,

Just seeking some advice in terms on which coilovers to go with, my s3 is driven on weekends only and want to track it in the near future.

I've been looking at KW V3's and BC ER series but I can't seem to find them for s3 8L. Only BR series.

What do people use over in the UK for track use?
    Stage 2 S3 8L + other mods

2. # ADS
    ADS

Down under

Status
    It's pretty much between KW V3s and H&R RSS Clubsports from what I gather. I run the clubsports but they're pretty firm for road use. Feels awesome though. I've yet to get it on track (picking up some A050s next week, in preparation) but the guy who set it up here in Sydney (who also sets up loads of road rally and targa cars) said it felt like a really nice setup when he was testing it. The V3s are said to be a bit better on road but are a bit of a trade off.

VWVortex.com - KW V3 vs. H&R RSS Club Sport Coilovers

I run boots that aren't pictured. As you can see they're an inverted design to save on unsprung weight.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Neutral

Status
    Hmm interesting, where did you source yours from? How much did you end up paying

Down under

Status
    I check vwvortex R32 and TT sections fairly regularly and a guy was breaking his TT so I snapped them up along with a load of other bits. Worth checking the classifieds.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Neutral

Status
    Did some reading on that thread, I think they'll be to harsh for the street, and they don't go as low either.

Think I've been sold to KW's despite the price, I've heard nothing but good from them.

Neutral

Status
    I have KWs on my s3 but the ride id admit is harsh so get used to pot holes. I got them off a friend so cheap so bought them. handling is brilliant tho no body roll runs round bends corners lovely. If I had more cash id go with damper adjustable my brother runs coilovers on his 200sx s14 and has 10 level damper adjusting which makes a difference easy to adjust soft to hard settings. Wish I had those its my daily ride and iv gotten used to it now so for a weekend car id defo out coilovers on.

Down under

Status
    But the problem with the adjustable dampers is that they'll just be a sweet spot that matches the spring rate and that's about it. You'll probably change them once. That is of course, unless you're changing springs often.

The H&R clubsports are well matched dampers and springs. They're definitely very firm but you get used to it. The V3s would be better all rounders though. As the thread says. If it's more track work, the clubsports might be better suited.

Neutral

Status
    I went ahead and placed the order through TPR engineeing today (Chris) for KW V3's, shouldn't be too long before they come in.

I'm trying to source out ground control camber plates, I really like there design but I don't really want to buy them new. I'm out on the look out on vwvortex and other forums. Hit me up if you see any up for sale Sam.

Down under

Status
    I rarely buy from suppliers here. Everything's just so over priced. Usually works out better bringing it in yourself. I see him advertising on the forums though so maybe he's good price wise and doesn't slap too much on top like the others? I guess with the bigger purchases, there's always import taxes.

With the GC mounts, I got mine used but fitted new rose joints and gave them a service. I'd probably have bought new if I got them again though since replacing the rose joints took me closer to new price. Be warned, they're not exactly silent. Mine clunk a bit and if you don't grease the surfaces just right, they "pop" when parking due to the spring binding (I need to re-grease mine!). I'll give you a shout if I see a set pop up.

Down under

Status
    There's also the copy GC design mounts that Prawn has that might be worth a look. Very similar design but use an OEM bearing.

Neutral

Status
    His price is still good compared to KW ones.

So they will always clunk even when not greased? Hmmmm :/

I found a similar design on eBay - Camber Plates Golf MK4 Seat Leon Audi A3 Camber Caster | eBay

Down under

Status
    Well some people have seemingly been fine with them and others (like myself) still get clunking etc. It's not really bad but it's certainly not a silent setup. Most people I have in the car don't even notice it unless I point it out. When I had my dampers serviced recently I don't think the guy greased up the ball/socket section that allows sliding movement so I get the occasional noise when parking (spring binding). If you were in Sydney, I'd take you out so you could see what I mean...

Yeah, they're the ones.

Neutral

Status
    Hmmm intresting, now having second thoughts about it.

Could I still use those camber plates & use the KW coilovers?

Down under

Status
    The top mounts and coilovers are independent so you can just use stock top mounts or LCR rubbers if you're worried about noise. Perhaps I've scared you a bit, they're honestly not that bad. To be fair though, the less rubber there is in the setup, the nosier it's likely to be. I have very little/no rubber in mine now.

Neutral

Status
    Sounds good to me Sam, Prawn seems to be happy with his silver-project ones.

I found a used (10k miles) set of GC camber plates on vortex for $150us + shipping.

Not sure which to go with now ahah, you did mention that I'm better of getting them new so I'll probably go with the silver-project ones.