Audi Lock Problem!

Suzisuz

Reaction score
Right, cut a long story short.. I had my car part broken into a couple months ago. Didn't get inside thank god for all the lights and alarm going off but the little brat mashed up the locks so therefore bought a complete set of new locks costing around £400. Anyways it's been 3 months since buying the locks and have just managed to finish the door locks to find that the right hand original lock had a extra plug and the new one didn't. So my partner still put it in, then the original left lock didn't have the extra plug but with the new one did. Finally put all back together to find the car doesn't lock from inside when the ignition or power is tuning through the car. If I take the key out and lock it, it does. My partner thinks the locks are left hand drive.. Is he right? So frustrating as his spent all day doing this for the car to still be messed up! My biggest concern is because of work commitments I haven't been able to change the locks till 3 months down the line, if it turns out to be the locks are left hand will Audi sort it out as its there mistake!

Someone please help! Getting really sick of having an Audi!

Im no expert but I woule imagine the extra plug would be for the drivers interior lock button. This will be a key icon button on the drivers doorcard next to the exit handle.

I know it sounds a silly question but have they been installed on the wrong sides? Do the give handed info on the lock units themselves such as LH or RH?

Do the locks look as though they will fit in the opposite doors? As in would the LH one fit in the RH door?

Shaun.

as above.

personally i would have rebuilt the original locks with new wafers. not what you wanted to hear though im sure. i highly doubt audi will do anything other than replace them, certainly wont fit them for free.

as above.

personally i would have rebuilt the original locks with new wafers. not what you wanted to hear though im sure. i highly doubt audi will do anything other than replace them, certainly wont fit them for free.

For both above, my link keeps crashing on iPhone! It had L and R stamped on the locks and my partner tried that, the logs are glued together and welded so impossible to re-use parts. He ended up ruining the lock that was damaged from break in. So had no choice to use the new locks. I have a friend who works with Audi. His going to see for my about the item codes, and will have to take them out to show them with the old ones so hopefully it will sort the problem but was also told as we haven't get got round to changing the ignition that could be to do with it too. We need Audi to start the engine ones the ignition has changed. So fingers crossed the problem will be solved :-( so frustrating as before it happened I was looking at getting a new car!

why didnt you give audi the key and docs and tay would have made a lock to fit your key

You dont need Audi to start the car! Good luck with them though

You have to provide driving licence, log book and insurance details to buy the locks! You can't buy the locks without this information - the technician even looked at my car and told me what I would need! I wouldn't have paid £400 and took my luck with the keys!

Sorry quoted wrong person stupid phone! Apparently you do, Audi are letting my partner who's a mechanic put it together and all I have to do is get the car towed to Audi for them to re program the new keys to the car or it won't start. I'm sure they wouldn't tell me that it has to come back to be reprogrammed if it didn't need doing so, I've bought a whole new lock set. A friend of mine works for Audi and has also said the same. I'm only going to be charged for the programming of the keys which is about £40 as I've already paid for the new set and my partner is doing the labour

How can I give them a lock if the car was broken into and totally mangled, I'd rather buy new locks and have new keys so least I know nobody else has a copy! Problem solved anyways.. It all works fine now, must have been where the car hasn't been used for 3 months :) will let you guys know about the starting when we change the ignition see if Audi is telling me porkies or not ;-)