kkk in place of Garrett turbo?

Firstly why are you changing the turbo? Is the old one toast?

If you have a PD130 engine then you currently have a Garrat VNT 17a.

The VNT 15 is found on the PD 100 and 115 engines, + the older non PD 110.
While it spools very fast it is smaller than the turbo on the 130 and will run out off puff top end.

If you want to replace like for like then look for a Garrat off any ASZ engine code car. If you are looking to tune the car then the VNT 17b found on ARL engines (golf pd 150, Leon cupra) has uprated bearings and can support 195 bhp ish max with a stage 2 or custom map.

My engine and turbo are toast. Fitting a bxp engine which would have been ok with my vnt17. My Engine was asz 130. The kp39 was from a 130 asz also but just looks a little smaller. It was cheap and I cant afford an arl right now! Although as soon as I can ill be fitting at least a bxp 160 turbo or bigger to make use of the extra horses available!

EDIT... Just double checked the part numbers for you. The KP39 is a PD 100 turbo, will be working hard on a PD130

Last edited:
I am assured it was from an asz, I thought they were all 130?

Might be forced to break the car if this doesnt work

There seems to be several KP39 variants listed.

One of them is for the Polo / Ibiza 130, so looks like it might be ok.
Can't really help much further than that. I know the Garett vnt 15 / 17 turbos well, but not too clued up on the Kkk versions.

I'm comfortable taking the hot side appart and cleaning and re-assembling the VNT mechanisms. Wouldn't fancy trying to rebuild a knackered one tho... Leave that to the experts!

do you think replacing the cartridge complete would be enough?assuming it isnt a chinese chocolate job, and comes balanced etc?

Had a very good quote for rebuild, Darkside have a second hand turbo on eBay for 275, rebuilding mine will be 309 including vat with 2 year warranty! No brainer to me. The kkk didnt fit. :(