Noob needs "Check Engine Light" help

Geoggy

Reaction score
Hi,

First post - please be gentle.

I have a 2002 1.8 T Sport A3.

For the last few months my check engine light has been on and off.

I took it back to my independent mechanic last week.

Bascially it is coming up with the same codes. The codes he describes as "long term codes" that don't really need any specific attention until the car starts running badly.

He reset the light, then the next day it was on again.

Is there any way I can avoid

a) paying this bloke £30 to turn the light off and give me the same advice every week

b) avoid paying a $1000 for VAG-COM and the lead to clear the codes my self.

I'm thinking of selling the car privately next year, but in the meantime I want to be sure that the light isnt giving out different codes in the interim.

Hope that makes sense.

I've seen these things for 30 quid on ebay from China - do they work?

Ive also seen people selling leads on ebay for use with VAG-COM - but as i read it this is just for use with the shareware version of the software and this version cannot reset the check engine light.

Many Thanks - and hello to you all

Cheers

Geoggy.

u can disconnect the battery and it should wipe the light out
as for the reason for the error codes, you will have to find someone with Vag-com who is kind enough to check it for you

hi mate,

will disconnecting the battery cause any problems elsewhere?

thanks

G

It would be good if you could get the actual error code from the garage. It might be a very quick fix.

If we have the code then it will help to diagnose for you.

ive got the codes at home. i'll post them tonight.

thanks

Let us know your location and perhaps you could meet up with someone who is local to you off this forum... Lots of people on here have vagcom..

the engine light will automatically go out by itself. I cant remember how many key revolutions are required before it resets itself. If the fault has gone the light wont re-appear. Obviously you will have to deal with the problem first to find out what is triggering the light.

Hi,

I am based in St Helens, Merseyside (about 12 miles from Liverpool)

The codes are:

Engineers Description :

Bank 1 Long term fuel trim system too rich

Engineers Description :

Turbo / throttle valve connection pressure loss

He's then witten

"Also headgasket problems"

Although i would like a second opinion on that given that ive done only 38,000 miles in the car.

17545 means your fuel mixture is a bit too rich at idle.

I would hazzard a guess at this being a prob with the lambda probe that sits in the exhaust pipe after the catalytic convertor.
Either the connection to it is bad or the probe is faulty itself.

17705 can be simply be caused by a dirty throttle valve. But its also linked in with the lambda stuff.

If you can find someone in your area with vagcom then I'll post the steps to check the lambda control, but swapping the probe may sort it.

thanks mate.

how much are we talking for a dealer to swap the probe?

thanks

Sounds interesting and definately worth a try. Usually if there is a fault with the DV you get the code that says "mechanical fault N249, Check DV!"

But it would be a very cheap and easy fix to replace the DV first as they are only something like £25 from the dealer. (make sure you get the later stronger revision of the valve. Part number : 06A145710N)

If your car isn't chipped and you get a fluttering sound from the engine when you change gear whilst driving hard then this would also indicate a broken DV.