Changing gearbox fluid

I had this done on mine and it did make a difference. A lot smoother I thought.

Not sure how hard it was to do though. As I jus paid a garage to do it with the genuine Audi Oil I took to them.

There is no service schedule for gearbox oil changes, just to check that its okay and topped up.

It doesn't suffer the type of contamination like engine oil due to the lack of blow by gasses and fuel etc.

Having said that, it does have to deal with a lot of shearing forces, so I would recommend changing if you have trouble with cold weather gear changes.

Its very easy to change. You undo the 17mm allen bolt on the bottom of the diff and let it all drain out. Then you refill at the other 17mm plug which is about half way up the front of the box. You need just under 2l of gear oil. The correct level is when oil just starts to dribble out of the filler plug.

Standard audi synthetic will be fine, but if your car is getting on in years and you have a slightly crunchy second gear, try using Redline MTL.

can be a bit awkward to get to the refill point i warn you..

I think it's 2.6 litres (from memory) for an S3 for anyone that's interested, and I wouldn't recommend getting the replacement drain plug and filler plug from audi are the replacements are a huge security torx bit not just the 17mm hex bolt as before.

The only reason I haven't done mine yet is the car needs to be on level ground which I don't really have around my house so I'm going to get AmD to change it for redline MTL.

Yeah I think it must be about that. As the garge that did mine used 3 of the 4 litre bottles that I gave them.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think it must be about that. As the garge that did mine used 3 of the 4 litre bottles that I gave them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been had mate, they stole a couple of bottle from you.
Either that or they've filled it to bursting point or poured it all over the floor.

The DBZ "02J" 5 speed box takes a max of 2 litres. But when you drain and refill you never get all the oil out. 9 times out of 10 you only get about 1.8 litres in before it starts to dribble out of the filler plug.
I couldn't believe the amount of oil left over in the last box I rebuilt.

Front wheel drive 6 speed box is 2.3 litres
4 wheel drive 6 speed box is 2.6 as previously mentioned.

Oh well it's only gear box oil! And the guy that did it, does all of the work on my car and does a top job.

So I am not too fused!

Bought some redline MTL gearbox oil today to try to eaz second gear changing, the thing is i ended up returning it after i read the back. It says its for front wheel drive cars but not to be used on rear wheel drive cars. As i have the quattro i was a little concerned. I've tried to contact audi for help but they say it requires special oil called GT50 or something?? The guy in the shop recomended MT90 but that also says not to be used on cars with rear wheel drive? If anyone could clear this up i would be very grateful.

maybe they mean not for the rear diff. or hadex. The gearbox's all work in the same principle, the quattro just having another outlet for the prop.

Why would it be different??? Maybe Oilman can clear this one up... ?

Redline says:

[ QUOTE ]
Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricants

Red Line Oil's MTL and MT-90 are designed to provide excellent protection and improved shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles, having cured the problem of hard shifting in thousands of transmissions with shifting troubles. How? They have the appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (many gear oils, engine oils, and ATFs are too slippery for proper synchro engagement). And, the wide viscosity of MTL and MT-90 allow proper shifting over the entire temperature range which the transmission will experience. The synthetic base oils used have a very high viscosity index which provides relatively constant viscosity as temperature changes. MTL is a low 70W at very low temperatures and a high 80W, nearly an 85W, at elevated temperatures, providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise. MT-90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL. The shear stability and oxidation stability of these products are excellent, thus the physical characteristics of Red Line MTL and MT-90 will change little with use.

[/ QUOTE ]

The correct spec for the S3 (and from memory the other gearboxes) is that of MT90 (75W90 GL-4) however I may try MTL as it's thinner which should help from what I've read and shouldn't be a problem as it's a much higher quality than the standard Audi stuff.

Thanks for the info. MT90 or MTL?? which one of the two is the best option for losing the awkward second gear change? I think MT90 is recomended by red line but everyone seems to go on about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif MTL

Think i'll go for the MTL too, was just worried about buggering up the gear box because i'm sure its not cheap to replace. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

well to be honest this it kinda last chance saloon with my gearbox, it's not really getting any worse It's just annoying me more and more. so I'll be getting the mounting changes and the oil and seeing how I get on.

Where did you get the oil from, pretty much the only place I've found is Demon Tweeks?

Here's a picture of the stuff I am using:

audigearboxoil01.jpg

yeah i was up at demon tweeks 100mile round trip to get eibachs fitted. Thats where i saw the oil, if any one knows somewhere near manchester then let me know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif