• 1 Post By 16Klappe
  • 5 Post By Scullies
  • 1 Post By 16Klappe
  • 1 Post By Broken Byzan
  • 2 Post By superkarl
  • 2 Post By <tuffty/>
  • 2 Post By superkarl
  • 1 Post By Gops

Thread: What turbocharger to use aiming for 350-400bhp S3?

Reverse Gear

Status

What turbocharger to use aiming for 350-400bhp S3?

As title really, in peoples opinions/experience what turbochargers can I fit to my S3 aiming for 350-400bhp? Just need a turbo and manifold if sits on top of exhaust manifold rather than standard S3 turbo position.
    All help appreciated.
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    have you done internals on engine? Do you have other supporting mods? do you have a budget?

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Do you know how to use the search bar and stickies!?

I'd be surprised if all your questions can't be answered in there.......

Here's a starting point -

Lots of Big Turbo and High Power info!
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Normally I would say a GT3071r all day long but the GTX2867r looks to be a good alternative...

There are quite a few supporting mods that need to accompany this path of course... check out builds from superkarl's build as he is using a GTX2867r... there are other big turbo build threads on here to (StaceyS3, Welly and mine for example) that are worth a read...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    one of these threads open at least once a week

Hi just bought an audi and want 800bhp on low boost lol
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    If you need to ask; you don't need to know.
    Paradox1 likes this.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    We all have to start somewhere

I knew feck all about these cars just over 4 years ago... and still non the wiser LOL

I will be collating the main build threads into a single post I think purely for adding to the FAQ's (that nobody reads) so that at least there is somewhere plausible to send new members asking stuff like this..

As our beloved 8L's become cheaper then these sorts of threads inherently will pop up more frequently... lets at least try to point the uninformed in the right direction...

To the OP... would be worth answering Byzans questions as these are relevant... we see a lot of people pop in asking the same questions only to drop off the face of the earth when faced with the realisation that its expensive and involved to get 400hp from these engines...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post

I knew feck all about these cars just over 4 years ago... and still non the wiser LOL
    4 years ago I was rolling around with a Forge Split R because I believed it to be the 'best' DV for my car. Little did I know I should have saved that £120 and kept the OE one on instead! lol
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

5th Gear

Status

I will be collating the main build threads into a single post I think purely for adding to the FAQ's (that nobody reads) so that at least there is somewhere plausible to send new members asking stuff like this..

<tuffty/>
    new members should only be allowed to view stickies and once they have read them all then they can post questions

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Four years ago I was learning, researching and planning so that when it did come to doing something with cars I wouldn't look an idiot...

Then never do them.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Four years ago I was learning, researching and planning so that when it did come to doing something with cars I wouldn't look an idiot...
    well that didnt work out so well for you

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Pahahahahaha. Whatever newbie
    Scullies likes this.

Then never do them.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    I'll admit that I was 'said' idiot up until June 2010 and still spent ages before I started posting regularly on here because I realise that a lot of what I wanted to know had already been asked or under gone by other members on the forum.

Now the S3 can be purchased for sub £3k all day long we can expect threads like this on a weekly basis
    2000 S3 APY

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Best we can do for newcomers guys is ask a few questions and then point them to the stickies to gain greater knowledge. I am always learning on a daily basis.

5th Gear

Status
    What about a smiley that's says "read the stickies, thanks for coming"

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    OP - start by reading all the big turbo threads. You will learn a hell of alot from them, parts, compatibility, results, problems, preventative measures, tech stuff, and the shear amount of work involved.
    Ive only recently started my build, and let me tell you its a lot more work than you first think!
    Takes planning, takes money, takes knowledge to get you where you wana be in the end.
    Once you've read up on things and got the ball rolling with what you're going with hardware wise, you can start asking informed questions that we can answer/advise.
    But right now 'what turbo will give me 400hp?' is far too ambiguous. Well, its simple to suggest a load of turbos, but thats only a fraction of what you need to know.
    <tuffty/> and S3Alex like this.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    In fairness there is only so much the stickies can do... if it was that full of info there would be no point in the forum itself and then there would be no discussions, no way to learn new stuff and no social aspect...

Personally I prefer people who post in a more informed way but this is not that unreasonable a request... yes it would have been nicer to have seen a little more info from the OP to flesh out his goals but it is what it is..

Not like he is asking for the 'best BOV' or something more ridiculous like 'how can I make my K03s more powerful than Jardo's?'

<tuffty/>
    16Klappe and Paradox1 like this.

5th Gear

Status
    Best turbo for 350-400bhp would be hybrid K04-64 from beach buggy turbo.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    because we know the ins and outs of building bt motors, were quick to jump on the 'do you know what the hell you're doing'.

Maybe we shouldve literally just give him a list of turbos

gt2871r
    gtx2867r
    gt3071r
    garrett 50 trim
    efr 6258
    efr 6758
    precision 5558
    precision 5128
    precision 5130
    TD05 16/18/20g

thats about all i know of.

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Thanks Paul, might need yo sig that...

Then never do them.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    Best turbo for 350-400bhp would be hybrid K04-64 from beach buggy turbo.
    Except they don't fit our cars.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    they do now
    16Klappe and IrishDave like this.

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Nicely said Karl.

Then never do them.

3rd Gear

Status
    Well I may have to look into this more, as I am currently rebuilding the block 83mm pistons, rods etc. I am also in the market for a new turbo having sent my original to Dan to hybrid but only to find out the turbine housing was past its sell by date. I presume it is Dan who is building these also.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    they do now
    Precisely the reason these type of threads are needed.

5th Gear

Status
    Well I may have to look into this more, as I am currently rebuilding the block 83mm pistons, rods etc. I am also in the market for a new turbo having sent my original to Dan to hybrid but only to find out the turbine housing was past its sell by date. I presume it is Dan who is building these also.
    K04-064 Tfsi turbo to 1.8 20vt engine

thats one approach to it but Dan is doing things a little different. I'm sure he will give you more details though.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    because we know the ins and outs of building bt motors, were quick to jump on the 'do you know what the hell you're doing'.

Maybe we shouldve literally just give him a list of turbos

gt2871r
    gtx2867r
    gt3071r
    garrett 50 trim
    efr 6258
    efr 6758
    precision 5558
    precision 5128
    precision 5130
    TD05 16/18/20g

thats about all i know of.

lets not forget a Tfsi k04/hybrid

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    it didnt even cross my mind but, annoyingly i have to say that its probably one of the best options for 400hp, whilst spooling like no other 'big turbo' would.

If id have known about it when i was shopping for a blower, i have to say id find it hard to choose between my gtx and the ko4-064 hybrid. Whilst mine is technically capable of 480hp, id probably trade that for the spool of the ko4 and low 400 numbers

area under the curve wins every time

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    K03. If you want 500bhp go for the k03s
    superkarl likes this.
    its either mapped or broken...