Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Westy
  • 1 Post By basil brush

Thread: Less efficient ?

1st Gear

Status

Less efficient ?

Evening all ,
    i feel it's time to go fmic as with higher ambient AT'S at the moment I've noticed a big drop off I'm power !
    Now I like the idea of the fmic however I hate that bloody charge pipe that crosses the engine bay on 2wd a3's !
    A bit of tuffty in me wants to keep everything looking as oem as poss , so I've been hunting around for an fmic that doesn't have to cross my bay .
    Ive found this

And my plan is to fit it fmic style on the crash bar but pipe it all through the drivers side as the smic is BUT being as this IC flows in and out on the same side is it a fair guess that a High percentage of the charge Air will flow straight in the inlet and straight out of the outlet without being cooled at all ? Or does the IC have something inside to make the air travel right through the core ?
    Baz
    1999 Silver 8L A3 1.8t sport (AGU) currently undergoing rolling modification
    pipercross panel , bosch super 4's , poly bushed front end , yellow dogbone , self refurbed 16" speedlines , ambient lighting.............TBC
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ts-thread.html

2. # ADS
    ADS

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    I've never liked these intercoolers. And I've never seen a good result from one on a K03s.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Well I'm on k03 power so that's ok then
    Seriously though if that's what you say I'll take it as gospel as YOU my friend ARE the small turbo god :D
    baz
    pipercross panel , bosch super 4's , poly bushed front end , yellow dogbone , self refurbed 16" speedlines , ambient lighting.............TBC

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Thanks Basil.

It'll be fine on a K03, you can max one of those out fairly easily.

The theory behind this is very good; the air does this -

<<<<<<<<<<
    ^
    ^
    ^
    >>>>>>>>>>

So it basically gets a double pass and in doing so should improve the cooling efficiency of the intercooler; all well and good in theory. Howeeevvverrrr....

That said it is travelling a further distance than if it just went <<<<<<<<, over double. So it does create a small amount of lag because it creates a larger intake tract to "fill".

And as we all know, flow = power especially with small turbo setups. Instantaneous flow = even more power.

I am more than aware that some dimwit will post up a picture of a 90000BHP Evo or something with a twin pass intercooler; but on a 1.8t with a small turbo I've never seen one give more than "good" results.

I for instance run TINY intercooler piping; 2.25" hot side. The smallest available on the market.

My IAT's have never passed reasonable levels in the real world since fitting, even in ambient temps in excess of 20*. And in the cold winter I was reading 1*, and regularly below 5* on cold mornings.

Kind of negates the need for doing anything out of the ordinary.

You CAN fit a front mount without it being visible and only being single pass. And it looks good.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post

You CAN fit a front mount without it being visible and only being single pass. And it looks good.
    HOW oh god type one
    baz

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

There are some pretty slim front mounts out there, and with LOTS of trimming from behind the bumper (which you'd have to do with this anyway) it will fit nicely.

The issue is the pipes showing, not the cooler showing. With some clever pipe work and the use of silicone hoses rather than hard formed pipes it can be made very subtle.

Second option is don't fit a FMIC and fit meth...

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Ooooooooo how about both !
    Is there room then to fit a flow through IC but return the outlet back over the top of the IC to the drivers side again ?
    Sorry to be a pest but as my car is my daily I can't have it off the road for a bit of trial and error
    baz

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Nope. Wouldn't go due to the crash bar and the kinks in flow, it'd be poopdeloop.

Honest and meant in the kindest way....Are you going to fit a K03s? If not...Why not fit a K03s? You could have 220bhp, no FMIC.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Mmmmmm I know it's what your bible suggested but can I really be arsed ?
    dint want to go too mad just thought trying to make the most of what I've already got was the way to go !
    would love k03s power if its easy ?
    Or I could by an S3 pmsl hahahahahahaha
    baz

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Fit K03s, stage 1 remap, 210bhp as you are now.

Fit a front mount to your K03, never see more than 190/195.

No brainer if you ask me

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Amen
    straight bolt on no fabricating ?
    You may have swayed me !
    Baz

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Yep.

DIRECT fitment.

Then never do them.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Get a room lads
    16Klappe, m19lte and Pubemammal like this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    This an A3 thread , clear off
    looks like the hunt is on for a heathy k03s then !
    Baz

1st Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Oooo nice
    after hunting on the bay all I can seem to find are ones listed as for a tdi !
    listing stated 51mm hoses are required for fitment , anyone know the hose ID on an agu smic piping ?
    baz

1st Gear

Status
    Ive asked them before mate, and the 2" inlet/outlet is the inside diameter, outlet is 60mm, just send them a message with any issues, they reply quite quick.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=330677225858

All I know is my 8l s3's twin smic's have 60mm hoses

1st Gear

Status
    In my watch list now
    thanks bud
    baz
    m19lte likes this.

RIP S3dave

Status
    longer the core and twin pass, often a larger pressure drop pumping it thru..
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply bill I realise your a busy bee , are you referring to the fmic I posted or the smic that someone else has suggested ?
    Im not after a 400 hp monster I just really want some relatively cheap mods while keeping an oem look to make my a3 the car it should have been .
    If I wanted something lairy I'd buy an old 2wd cossie but I don't !
    baz