Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

downpipe blowing again :-(

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice...

Car went in for a new clutch and to have the manifold / turbo / downpipe looked at as it was blowing from somewhere.. turned out it was the turbo to downpipe gasket had blown.

Garage fixed that and all was good in the world.

two week later I noticed the car started sounding a little bit louder at tick over and when the turbo kicks in I started hearing a ticking noise (exactly the same as what it was doing before..)

I went straight back to the garage and said 'I think the downpipe gasket is gone again or the bolts are loose' to which he replied 'oh yeah it's a common fault, the bolts do tend to loosen up - bring it back in a week and we'll have a look' is this true?

Really hope he's not expecting me to pay again..

So my questions are.. is it really a common fault that the downpipe bolts come loose (I'm guessing not)? Is it a hard job to tighten up the downpipe bolts? Do you think if I did take it back to the garage it's likely I'll have to pay again?

thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    if you have a proper 2ton jack jack it up and get underneath mate also if you have a socket set your be able to do it bud. they can come undone if not tightened up properly obviously so if you have a socket set and a jack or some axle stands get underneath and your be able to see the downpipe

2nd Gear

Status
    oh okay.. cheers! I've gotta get the car on axel stands anyway to fix the earth strap on the haldex, so I will have a look to see if I can reach it.. thanks!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by russwuss View Post
    oh okay.. cheers! I've gotta get the car on axel stands anyway to fix the earth strap on the haldex, so I will have a look to see if I can reach it.. thanks!
    no probs mate i undone my downpipe and im a dumbass so your be cool haha

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Normally the blowing is either the turbo/manifold bolts coming loose and blowing through the turbo/mani gasket or (if an OE downpipe) the flexi... if its the flexi then its new DP time...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by joebickerton89 View Post
    no probs mate i undone my downpipe and im a dumbass so your be cool haha
    haha, thanks mate.. hopefully so!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Normally the blowing is either the turbo/manifold bolts coming loose and blowing through the turbo/mani gasket or (if an OE downpipe) the flexi... if its the flexi then its new DP time...

<tuffty/>
    They apparently last time replaced the turbo / downpipe gasket? that did fix the issue.. it's exactly the same noise as it was before. It's OE downpipe.. when you say Turbo / Manifold, is that the 3 17cm bolts that sit underneath the hard charge pipe? I took the charge pipe off yesterday and checked that area.. blowing was coming from underneath there, could feel air with my hands.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Try using Nordlocks on it next time

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    The studs/nuts from the K03s are better then the bolts the K04 use so it's a good idea to swap your fixings.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Out of interest where is the best place to get new gaskets for the turbo to DP section and also the DP to Cat section?

Is there also any alternatives to the sleeve that joins the cat to the rear section?
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vrbob View Post
    Out of interest where is the best place to get new gaskets for the turbo to DP section and also the DP to Cat section?

Is there also any alternatives to the sleeve that joins the cat to the rear section?
    Believe it or not the OE gaskets from the dealer are the best to use. Also I had to re use that sleeve to connect my XS decat section to my miltek. I think a custom made part from an exhaust place would be a better alternative.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Cheers bud,

Will take a trip to TPS at some point and grab some as I think I will redo them again at some stage.

That or go visit a proper exhaust place and get them to do it all and replace the sleeve thingy too.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Status
    Just had a quick look on ebay (to save me the trip to TPS)

spotted this which looks right to me and also genuine for the turbo to DP

VW 06A 253 039 E Genuine Volkswagen Audi Turbo - Manifold Gasket A3 A4 Passat | eBay

And this aftermarket one for the DP to Cat

3" INCH EXHAUST CAT DECAT GASKET AUDI S2 S3 A4 S4 RS4 | eBay

Are they any good for the money as no idea what the OEM stuff costs