Reverse Lights not working Audi A3 1.8 T

andybubbles

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My reverse lights are not working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I changed the bulbs....and nothing. I changed the fuse on the drivers side....and nothing.

Any ideas whats gone wrong or any suggestions? Its a pain without them and prety dangerous too, especially with tinted windows at the back.

Thanks
A

Just fixed the reverse lights on me girlie's car yesterday.

On of the wires to the reverse light switch on the gearbox had broken.

It will either be that or perhaps a faulty switch itself. If its the switch they are cheap and easy to swap.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I guess it was an audi a3 too?

How exactly did you fix the wire? Is it pretty simple?

Also when you say switch do you mean the fuse? because i changed that and it stil didnt work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i too have a dodgy reversing light on my 1.8T a3.

there is a sensor in gearbox, and i beleive to replace it you have to drain off the oil and is very time consuming...

it's not tested in the MOT so i not worrying about it yet..

Cheers, Im taking it to the garage this week!

il let you all know what the problem is incase it happens to anyone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Which means they are probably both pre facelift cars.

If you look down at the shift mech ontop of the box you should see a plastic blob. This is the reverse light switch.

click me

This is what later cars have. Its the bolt thing with the black connector on it next to the base of the shift weight.

Click me as well

have a look here as well. The pic is of my TDi, but I think the 1.8T is similar, and there's a list of parts to make a neat repair.

Cheers!
Mechaninc has ordered the part so should be fixed soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif