MK4 Golf Suspension Compatibility

Pubemammal

Reaction score
Hello people,

Just a quick question I can't seem to find the answer I think maybe its a bit specific. I have picked up a set of brand new MK4 golf suspension with Apex 40mm springs. They state they are for a MK4 Golf Diesel, should these fit my 1.8t A3 8L?

Thanks

yes they will physically fit.

If they were from a 6 speed diesel then the fronts may be a different spring rate, may sit slightly high.

Do they not have part numbers on them?

yes they will physically fit.

If they were from a 6 speed diesel then the fronts may be a different spring rate, may sit slightly high.

Do they not have part numbers on them?

I see, they were for the guys 150bhp diesel, which I am guessing is 6 speed. Springs just state they are for either V5 or Diesel MK4 Golfs. I don't have the struts part number but im guessing theyre the same. I suppose I could just flog them on.

Apex Springs:
Supplier Part #: AP80-7010
ECP Part #: 974440971

Golf mk4 Lowering Springs + struts | eBay

if your fitting them yourself then why not give them a go, may well sit fine.

If your paying a garage to fit them them then perhaps think about getting springs you know will be fine so the labour costs don't add up.

I used to run 1.8t koni springs on a diesel golf and it sat and handled ok.

if your fitting them yourself then why not give them a go, may well sit fine.

If your paying a garage to fit them them then perhaps think about getting springs you know will be fine so the labour costs don't add up.

I used to run 1.8t koni springs on a diesel golf and it sat and handled ok.

I understand thanks. So are the shocks just the same and its only the springs that differ... because they are stiffer as theyre intended for a diesel (heavier)? I am talking about standard shocks here!

OK I've done some research, shocks for the GT TDI are the same part number for the A3 1.8T, so its only the springs that are different. The springs for the diesel are firmer to take the extra weight of the diesel engine, so basically my car will sit higher as it has the lighter 1.8t engine. I just dont know how much higher? Theres no point paying for them to be fitted if theyre going to sit at the same level or higher than my car currently is?! :(

i have some mk4/a3 1.8t koni springs for sale if youd rather them brand new in the box £60 :) i have the same on my a3 they sit nice im in kent bexley