MOT Failure :( Upgrade options?

Lavis89

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thankfully it is just a snapped rear spring, which i suspected due to the **** state of the roads anyway. But i've been told the other one isn't looking too smart and my ARB linkage has quite a bit of play on it. soooo options time.
Are there budget coilovers for my car? on ebay/google at the moment but haven't found anything yet (2001 a3 TQS) and im guessing if i do need coilovers then i'll need the adjustable linkage aswell?

EDIT: the springs i currently have on the rear looked to have 5 pink dots on the springs, anyone have any idea what the height is supposed to be with these springs? open to the idea of lowering a little bit on springs if the price is right

So far found a set of FK-AK coilovers for £220 or H&R Springs for £180, would the springs work on my shocks?

Last edited:
Give the stealers a call with your VIN number and they'll tell you the exact part number you need.

seeing as my suspension is pretty much gone on the rear i thought i might as-well upgrade the whole lot rather than replace with standard

what do you mean what ride height your standard springs are. They are standard height, thats all.
Aftermarket springs lower by whatever they state.
and technically they work with any shock.

Doesn't the different coloured dots on the springs indicate different lengths? one final question (thanks for answering about the shocks btw) does anyone have a rough idea what kind of height i can get away with before i start scrubbing on the ARB? im not looking at slamming the car, just closing the arch gap a little will be nice

EDIT: I'm going to solve my own problem here... Carl stop picking at hairs, you drive the car less than 2500 miles a year, and don't do track days or any of the malarkey. Buy the fk's, set it to what ride height you want, if it rubs on the arb then raise it up a bit. Common sense prevails and renders this thread obsolete.

Last edited:
If you want the height adjustable, then go with coilovers. If you just want a subtle lowering, then go for springs, but I would recommend you invest in a fresh set of shocks, since they are coming out anyways! If your current shocks have done 60k+ miles, I'd be quite confident they are past their best!

EDIT: I'm going to solve my own problem here... Carl stop picking at hairs, you drive the car less than 2500 miles a year, and don't do track days or any of the malarkey. Buy the fk's, set it to what ride height you want, if it rubs on the arb then raise it up a bit. Common sense prevails and renders this thread obsolete.
EH?? what you on about?