Possible Head Gasket Blown?

Gavin G

Reaction score
Hi

Basically let the woman use the car and presumed she would let me know if the car needed anything :shutup2:. Nah she didn't notice the coolant light on the dash, yes the big red one. Anyway at the weekend i got the call to say smoke flying out of the bonnet, after a near heart attack i arrive at the scene to see it was steam not smoke (just as bad imo). The remaining coolant was boiling The leak seemed to be the back right hand side of the block behind the air filter. (See Pic general circled red)

Audi1

Got the car towed to local mechanic who says the engine may be ****** as it was't a pipe that bust but the lip where the pipe goes in was cracked. He tried to seal it but as he predicted this was unsuccessful it held for a while but gushed out after a brief drive.

He told me to try and source another engine or he would have to open up to check the head etc and that it may be more trouble and money than it was worth.

Long story short ive told him to open her up as my engine is as rare as hen teeth to get hold of over here. Estimated price according to him is £400-£600 to open her up, skim and replace gasket and anything else in there

Any advice, do you think he has over looked something and this work doesn't need done? Could it be something else. I don't know much about cars but i've never heard of a lip cracking before a pipe.

The position on your photo is a common failure and is only a few quid to put right it is an hard plastic junction type water connector, obv depends how much it ******, but try get a new one of them first? they sometimes look fine but split on the moulding lines so you cannot see it.

May as well chuck some rifle drilled forged rods in there at the same time :eyebrows:

****** hell mate not good hope you get it sorted makes my Missus look golden though lol

I agree with s3Dave - mine has just had this same problem, and it's the platic junction thing. Definitely check that first

Thanks peeps

Here's a couple of close photos of the offending pipe i assume this is the pipe he's talking about, he says there is a crack at the bottom connection going into the engine if that makes sense?

Pipes 2

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 108
  • pipe 2.jpg
    pipe 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
my missus never drives my cars

Reactions: slowcoach3
Theres an O ring that mates up to the block has he changed that?
I would get my car out of there and change the junction pipe and o ring and go from there, your talking £30 to repair maybe against ££££ if he takes it apart