Justins apy 1999 s3 build thread.

JUS3IN

14.0 @ 98mph 2s 60ft
Reaction score
hey all, after joining mainly due to problems as most do, knowing nothing about 20v's and chewing everyones ears of begging for help i'd say im pretty fluent in s3/1.8t now and touch wood the car seems to be running well.
Here starts my build thread;

First of all mine and the cars history. After a while without a car of my own (using the missus jimny and my work van) and owning a ktm superduke that resided in the garage for 4 months over winter i decided i needed a run around and was not planning to modify it. That lasted all of two months!-) after being a big golf fan and owning a mk2 gti 16v 2.0l, mk3 golf vr6, and a small bumper bronze cabrio with a late vr6 lump in her i thought the s3 would be a sensible choice even tho i wasnt a fan of its looks initially the ol girls really grown on me and i find myself with a mod list as long as my arm and a build cost that already owes me big without what i have planned!-) long story short the ktm got sold and pretty much half the money went towards some bills and half on the s3...

The Starting point;
1999 apy s3 140000, 1 years mot, 6 months tax sold as stage 1 mapped!? work in 2011 at audi with reciepts inc new brakes all round, new rear anti roll bar and links, new clutch. also surpossedly had a new genuine turbo, was a chinese copy! £1800

16inch cheapo steel wheels, my fav blue and black interior, needed a stereo code and all looked good on the face of it... boy was i done lol! bill helped me diagnose my soft limp back to a ****e chinese turbo (guy told me it was remapped, it was turbo!), the bike was sold and i figured this was as good a time as any to do the exhaust the money spending began...

£730 18inch bbs reps with nangkang ns2's
£320 xs power 3inch downpipe and sports cat
£230 relentless manifold v2 which turned out to be a v3 when it arrived after i tryed to cancel my order and they said it was already in the post!? suspect but i was happy
£530 scorpion exhaust system...
£20 s2000 filter
£90 badger 5 tip v3
£80 forge splitr with recirc attachment (i know take the leaky bov off you all say, sounds great to me)
£20 radio code

then tell the missus ive spent a grand on exhaust and 700 on wheels on a car i paid 1800 for lol, but off course i needed the exhaust cause the other one broke when i removed it to do the turbo lmfao!-)

So thats pretty much where i am now, been really contemplating a amd map but may hold out and do a few more mods before a custom map at bills or r-tech...

Mods soon to come;
welly cooler
ap coilovers
brake upgrade
remap
rods
head recondition (valve stem sills are on their way, not too bad tho)
stage 2 clutch
hadlex controller
white powder coat to wheels, removal of tacky looking rivets, blue wheel tape
forge 007p
digi dash repair
liquid guage
recaro baby seat (got my first arriving in jan at my grand ol age of 30!)

Pictures uploaded in a min....

DaDcsDSC 0871DSC 0872DSC 0873
really really needs lowering!! also forgot about the cupra splitter and personal plate!-)

im off out in a bit to fit a new maf sensor and do some logging for a rough horse power, my last run with a leaking turbo gasket was 210bhp...

right, running nice and smooth with the new maf and my highest maf reading was 171 g/s so i equate that at 214 bhp. not bad considering she's un mapped and at 142000miles and 14 years old!-) was hopeing to see around 225ish really tho...

still not ure how to sort the log for you lot to view as this windows 8 is ****e!!

Love that interior....has to be the best for an 8L S3 IMO and it looks in great nick....ever fancy a swap with full black ;-) haha

Yeah 214bhp sound like you could do with a nice remap to stage 1....if the person lied about the genuine turbo then I very much doubt it's been remapped. Anything with under 230bhp on a stage 1 has issues IMO. Never heard of or seen an S3 that's 100% healthy map to that.

At least you found 4 more bhp from before though :)

cheers mate, its not remapped its only requesting 1800mbs so defo not... remap soon hopefully before santapod next weekend

Hey all, after calling santapod and getting told no cars post 1990 could run on the sunday at the retro show we went up expecting not being able to run and most of us with modern cars loaded in each others cars or dropped out, then we could run!? What a **** up by suck a large establishment... At least I had my car there a b it on the stock mapping as I never bothered getting it done since I couldn't run! After a poor performance in the heat of the morning running 2.2 second 60fts with 15.1 et and 91mph and over reving I gave up after 3 runs. In the sfternoon I done 3 more and it was a bit cooler, on my final run the ol gal came through, what a pig to get a good time! Final run was a 1.9 60ft crossing the line at 93mph in 14.6, happy with that!-) any of you lot there?

cheers mate, its not remapped its only requesting 1800mbs so defo not... remap soon hopefully before santapod next weekend

What were you running when you went up the strip mate? Did you get the remap done in time?

Quiet a few lads went to inters, so i'm sure there will be some times floating about on here today. I was looking on VAG talk and everyone was moaning about the heat - apart from those boys with WMI I suppose! lol. What sort of RPM were you launching at?

my times are outlined above mate, also i found it real different launching on the strip... i was attempting around 4000rpm and she kept bogging down, i thought maybe the increased grip was messing with the hadlex? i think the heat also had something to do with it as my mates 185bhp r5 turbo wouldnt run at all, missfired all the way up the strip. the best run was pretty much dumping the clutch at 5000rpm!

No it Was on the stock map so not a bad run imo?

Nope not a bad run at all taking into account your mods and the weather....

The R32 lads were saying they were getting around mid 14s and I'd say they are a similar weight and around 240-250ish bhp - so if you're running stock map with bolt on mods then that's pretty good going with that 14.6.

It does seem a lot of cars were not coping well with the heat, shame about your mates R5 - I bet he was pretty gutted.

yeah my mate was gutted, especially as it looks so special, its as clean (and same colour) underneath with custom dash, stripped out roll cage ect, he's got 12 grand in it! then his first run got beat by a mint stock r5!? sure its just toothing problems as it ran fine all the way up and was a little quicker than my s3!

also in the afternoon ended up along side a grey saph cossie with a '330bhp inside' sticker, saw it running 13.8 earlier on so thought i had had it. slowly drifted back after a dead heat off the line then 3/4 of the way up bang coolant everywhere and i easied passed with me and my mate (i was two up) rocking back and forward in an attempt for more speed lol... the two in the cossie had a sense of humor as they started rocking aswell haha.... all in all had a great day and the strip wasnt too busy getting to see the show and do 6 runs!-)

Hey all, just made a home made catch can out of a cocktail shaker and thought I'd throw a few progress pics out there!-) from the steel wheeled stocker with a fecked turbo to now and few few of my last toy which I wish I still had too!Maidstone 20120115 00425IMG 20111022 00036Maidstone 20130418 00811Maidstone 20130428 00815Maidstone 20130713 00045Maidstone 20130713 00043Maidstone 20130713 00046IMG 20130508 00829Maidstone 20130428 00812Maidstone 20130413 00804

anyone know how the tacky fake rivets are fixed too dare bbs lm reps? will they be sunk in a dowel hole or just glued? im thinking i want them removed and the wheels done white with a blue lip stripe.... are they gonna be an **** to remove, if so i might save money doing it before they go in?